QQ about new cassette

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 848

Hi All

Just replacing the 11 speed cassette on my road bike

Got a 105 11 speed 11-32 in place of my existing 11-30, as I have a hilly sportive coming up.

Is there any need to lengthen the new chain more than what the old one was? As it was perfect - and I will never go into the big big combo and even if i did, it would be for seconds

Concerned that if it lengthen it for that bigger sprocket then it will be too loose for the bigger gears

What do ppl think?

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500

No need to lengthen. Probably.

• chatlow

that's what I'm thinking/hoping

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,025

I've used http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc.html since 2016 for three bikes, works a treat for me.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500

Oh ffs. It is 2 extra teeth.

If there is any extra movement available on the rear mech when you are cross chaining in the big ring on your 11-30 (a rare event in any case), then it will be fine. In the unlikely event that it isn't fine, you have 2 options - 1. get another chain. 2. don't cross chain in the big ring until your chain needs replacing anyway.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,495

I think, if it were me doing it, I'd use the existing chain. Worse case scenario is you take it for a test ride and decide it needs a new one. I'm pretty sure it wont.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

I change my cassettes frequently when going off to the peaks, usually from 11-30 to 11-34. Don't need to change the chain, but always need to adjust the B screw to give clearance in the largest sprocket.

• chatlow

Thanks all. I tested it with the current chain and it seems fine. Just a little tigher in the higher gears but it's also ok if I accidentally go into the big big combo for a few seconds.

Initially didn't notice any running or problems with the bscrew where it was but I've screwed it further in just incase

Will take it out this week and see how it feels.