Carbon Lubricant and Press Fit Issue

quarkrad809
quarkrad809 Posts: 42

Some advice please. About to build new bike that will have a press fit bb on a carbon frame. Read a few suggestions re grease/no grease. I'm erring on using a lub/grease but no idea on what type to use. Additionally, on another bike I re greased the headset and found one of the carbon spaces very difficult to remove; I managed it eventually and re-assembled. There is no lube or anything between the carbon spaces and the steerer tube. Assuming the steerer tube/stem connection needs to be dry should I lub/grease below where the spacers are or, what seems logical, just replace this 'sticky' spacer? (Why has the spacer become so tight - as if it has shrunk?).

Comments

• trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 478

Depends on what BB you have

Shimano say to fit dry with no grease

Where Wherls manufacturing say a light coat on the cups before pressing in .

Take advice from whoever manufactures the bb your using

Lube around the bearings not the spacers ,only time you would have anything in the steerer would be carbon grip fir carbon on carbon .Most likly caused by sweat and grime ,seen plenty like that

• hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 114

I always grease bb. I use muck off pink stuff, possibly bio grease. My friend uses copper grease, much more experience than me. I tried a cheap pressfit from airbike this time. See how it goes.

Building a bike for turbo, I put a very light coat on steerer this time myself. I can't remove the bearings because they are seized on. Presumably salt sweat etc. I don't care because it will be fixed on turbo. I figured a little grease can't no any harm. I hope.