MTB flat bars sizing

Schmutz
Schmutz Posts: 1

Hi guys. I've been given 29" mountain bike for next months by a buddy. First time on big wheels, but one thing I haven't used to yet has to be the handlebar. It's a flatbar and must be 780mm. Can't help, it feels too wide.

Are there size sharts for the most suitable handlebar width according to another measure? Is it typically height or the body build? I'll be waiting to hear your experience with MTB flatbars and their sizing.

Comments

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 383

They've been getting gradually wider over the last umpteen years. Wider equals better control, however I do feel they've got to wide. Gravel and road bikes have got wider to. If you go to somewhere like cannock you can see the bars have got wider by looking at the tree bark damage on the trails.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Dunedin397
    Dunedin397 Posts: 149

MTB bars have just got wider and wider over the last 10 years. As above, there are advantages to a wider bar, but I prefer going what feels right to you, and what your body can adjust to without being detrimental.

My bare 680mm, but I do still use bar-ends for climbing. so that’s narrow by today’s standards. However it’s what suits me and the more cross country marathon style of riding.

it may be worth getting a bar that you can cut, and gradually get to the size that feels right. If you go too dark then you can cut the original bar to what worked.