Thru Axle Types

quarkrad809
quarkrad809 Posts: 42

I need to replace my thru axles on my winter road bike - from what I can gather they are the 'standard' 12mm 100/142 size. Mine have a quick release lever on the end that I tighten similar to my rim brake bikes. I have seen numerous types off 'ends' on friends road bikes that are used to tighten the axle - even using an allen key. Does it matter what type of 'end' you use or can you use/buy any type as long as it is, in my case, 12 100/140? In other words, do I have to buy another quick release level type?

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

There are loads of different types, thread pitch, thread length, overall length etc. Whether it has an end or not is the least of your concerns. Your best bet is to go ook on the thru axle for the spec (many have it stamped on them) and if not go to the frame manufacturer.

FWIW I much prefer ones without, because I never cycle without a multitool, the bike just looks cleaner, and the permanent ends are always really stubby so you can't get a lot of torque on them either putting them on or taking off.

• quarkrad809
    quarkrad809 Posts: 42

Point(s) taken re thread pitch, thread length, overall length etc. So my thinking is right - the 'end' can be anything in terms of how it locks, providing the dimensions are the same.