Giro 2024:- Stage 14: Castigliano delle Stiviere – Desenzano del Garda, 31.2km (ITT) ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706

Stage 14: Castigliano delle Stiviere – Desenzano del Garda, 31.2km (ITT)

May 18th.

Start Time 12-20

This year's Giro includes two ITTs and the second one is a predominantly flat test between Castiglione delle Stiviere and Desenzano del Garda. The 31.2 kilometres route takes in an elevation gain of roughly 250 metres. The riders cross a few villages and a series of minor ups and downs. The road is almost constantly slightly downhill heading towards the shore of Lake Garda.

map

final kilometres

The last kilometres are mostly straight with a couple of left-right bends about 300 m from the finish. The final straight is 200 m on asphalt, width 6 m.

Castiglione delle Stiviere

Castiglione delle Stiviere, home of San Luigi Gonzaga and the Red Cross, is a town immersed in the green scenery of the Morainic Hills, and the beating heart of a fascinating territory where nature, history and modernity co-exist in vibrant harmony.

Desenzano del Garda

Infinitely bright and radiant, Desenzano del Garda is located in a strategic position in terms of geography and infrastructure: in fact, it benefits from a well-tested and very active railway connection, which makes it a pivot for reaching nearby Milan, Brescia, Verona and Mantua. A highway exit at a 2-minute drive from the centre and the lakefront makes it even more accessible.

Cuisine

Luccio alla gardesana This simple fish dish combines cooked pike and an aromatic anchovy-based sauce. The dish hails from Verona and is especially popular around the areas surrounding Lake Garda. The fish is first cooked, typically in a broth flavored with onions, carrots, celery, and herbs.

Risotto Amarone

Risotto Amarone is a traditional Veronese dish made with two key ingredients – Vialone Nano rice and Amarone red wine. Besides those two, the risotto is made with onions, broth, olive oil, butter, salt, and pepper. Although there are just a few ingredients used in the dish, they are all of excellent quality.Before serving, it is recommended to let the risotto sit for a few minutes, and when served, it is typically topped with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

I stayed in a hotel by the little harbour in that picture in 2004, when a friend and I were there for the World Championships, held in Verona. My main memory is being woken very early every morning by squabbling ducks.

• andyp

I can also report that Risotto Amarone is excellent.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762

Amarone as a cooking wine?

• andyp

I know. If a non-Italian did that, there'd be polemica.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Ganna off the ramp

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Ganna fastest 1st check

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited May 18

Fastest 2nd ..minute faster

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395

Ganna smashes everyone

• mididoctors

Ganna 53.4 kph

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Hope the big guy wins it this time

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395

Ganna averaged 460 watts for his 35 minutes effort.

My best 460 watts is 70 seconds! 😁

Mind you, I weigh 69 kg.

• mididoctors

Sheffield off on a corner ...going well too until then

• No_Ta_Doctor
  • mididoctors

Bardet slow off the ramp

• No_Ta_Doctor

Luke Rowe is good value on coms

"Well the first thing I checked is that he took his gilet off"

• mididoctors

Poor old possivio

• mididoctors

O Conner doing a ride

• mididoctors

Pog going like the clappers early on

• mididoctors

Put it in a big gear g

• No_Ta_Doctor

Pog quicker than Ganna at first check by a couple of seconds. FFS

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Geraint looks laboured by comparison to Pog, guess it’s just gear choice. He always looks over-geared these days.

• Pross

Solid by Tiberi, doing his podium chances no harm.

• mididoctors

Pog is fading thank F**K

• mididoctors

Lol

• Pross
    edited May 18

Pog 10” down at CP2. O’Connor matches Tiberi

• Pross

Thomas provisional 3rd but loses time to Arensman. If Sheffield had stayed upright this would be an incredible stage for Ineos.

• mididoctors

Better by G

• No_Ta_Doctor

POg 10" down on Ganna at 2nd check

• Pross

Pog finishes second but gains at least 40” on the GC riders.

• Pross

Pog looks a bit knackered but not compared to O’Connor who forced me to change my PTP pick for tomorrow . I went for him 5 minutes before he finished but changed when I saw the state he was in!