Frames, forks and rider weight

Hi All,

I have a question about which part of my bike I should be more worried about.

I am currently 141kg according to the scales this morning, I have purchased the heaviest weight limit wheelset I could find which has been confirmed as having a limit of 150kg, my bike is a steel framed Ribble Reynolds 525 which comes with what they described as a "winter fork" so not really sure what that means but it is carbon so I was also a little worried about that, things I have read online seems to suggest that the fork should be fine but I doubt its built taking into account someone of my size!

Would I be better looking to swap out the fork for a steel one? I wont be doing anything mega on the bike at the moment, short easy rides whilst I build up my fitness again and start losing weight.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Anthony

Comments

• A winter fork just means it has mounts for mudguards.

Do not ride on that carbon fork. You are well over the rider weight limit of 120kg specified by Ribble for any of their current range. I'd recommend buying and fitting a tandem rated fork, SJScycles stock a good range and will have something to suit.

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,034

If you don't know it already, check the weight limit of the bike frame, for example a number of bikes sold by Halfords have a 120Kg limit.

The Vel 50 rl wheels I bought ~18 months ago and still need to setup to try, have a weight limit of 110Kg. Given I'm 95Kg, my bare bike is ~9Kg, before adding 1.5l of fluid; my kit; phone/food/tools in jersey pocket etc. I've only got ~2.5Kg to play with.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Anthony76
    Anthony76 Posts: 4

Thanks for the replies, I will double check the weight limit for the frame, being the amateur I am I just assumed a steel frame would be ok, didnt think to check that! could have been a bad mistake so thanks for that

Presume an MTB may have better weight tolerances for now so I may see what I can pick up cheap on Ebay or something as I will be shifting this weight so wont really be looking to spend a fortune

A rethink is possibly required I reckon! thanks again

Anthony

• Steel frames tend to bend rather than crack and fail completely, so you were on the right track.

All the best with building up your fitness, happy riding😀