Gardening thread

12346»

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,557
    edited July 12

Holly was our problem. These things were up to 20 feet high and about 2m deep, so took upna fair bit of garden space. Cost a small fortune to have the trimmed as we needed the 'professionals' to do it, so got them ripped out last year and some new fence/wall up where needed. They needed chainsaws and stump grinders to do the job but glad we did it.

Mrs. 666 now has a large soil verge running right up one side of the garden that she's planting stuff in.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

We've added some French style touches to our kitchen with our home grown produce.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,188

Fork fork and triple fork. Got tomato blight active in the greenhouse. Erse. There is no chem type treatment available, season turns to a salvage job. Erse again.

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559

Commiserations

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051

Wahey, actual edible figs. This summer has been good for something.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

I predict that courgettes and beetroot will feature heavily in home cooked meals soon (in addition to the garlic).

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

Anyone recommend a decent weedkiller to kill of the grass growing between my patio slabs? I need to repoint them but until the weeds / grass are properly killed it isn't worth it. I've tried all the usual supposed super tough products but they don't do the job, tried burning them too but that doesn't work either. Will probably get the slabs lifted and rebedded with a new weed suppressing membrane eventually but that's a job for next year.

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 344

If your relaying them properly next year I'd just remove all the weeds / grass to a reasonable depth then just use a dry mix off sharp sand and cement and brush it In. It should be OK for a couple of years at least. You could brush just cement in the gaps before pointing up and this will burn the weeds stopping them for a bit. Don't be tempted to use the resin pointing stuff as after a few years it starts to go powdery and break up. Had my patio done in it and I've got to redo it after 3 yrs.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,477
    edited August 21

Giving the legs a day off after yesterday's climbfest, so did some gardening in the sun (ha!)... raked & clipped the grass short so that if there are any seeds lurking the air & light will get to the soil, and for the first time had a good hack-back of the (mostly) herbs in the border. Mostly happy with the fruit trees after their pruning the other day.

Other than a mow or two (depends on the rain between now and the beginning of September), that'll be pretty much it till next Spring, though I might plant an apple tree at Christmas.

The house now nicely reeks of aromatic herb clippings: thyme, sage, rosemary and mint.

• Stevo_666

In an attempt to make Casa Stevo a bit more continental and do something with the gap in the grass left by removing the big holly hedge along the border, Monty Donette (aka Mrs. 666) has invested in a palm tree, amongst other plants. One of the hounds seemed vaguely interested but didn't cock his leg on it.

Next job: planting it in the ground.

• rjsterry
    edited August 30

Hope you don't call her that to her face 😬

They can be surprisingly tough. We had one in a tub that died right back after some drought. We thought we'd lost it, but a few months later a new shoot appeared at the base of the dead trunk.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

No, I just roll my eyes when she wants to watch Gardeners' World once too often...I'm guessing it's more frost that might be a problem, but we can always get a frost cover for it if needed.

• rjsterry

You're right, I'm misremembering. It was frost that killed the top of it.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon

What's the genus / species / variety?

• Stevo_666

Good question - not sure. I'll need to traipse up the garden later on and have a look at the label 😊

• Stevo_666

It's a European Fan Palm, aka Chamaerops Humilis.

• orraloon

I'll ask the pros of The Gardens for any tips on how best to look after. Think there was one of them inside a glasshouse, poss now gone. But there are prople there with walled gardens, botanics etc experience so v likely to have managed this one.

• Stevo_666

Cheers, seems they are relatively cold resistant as palms go (OK down to about -5cC apparently). Mrs. 666 is researching it as we speak...

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,477

Hmm, slightly concerned about the early leaf-drop on my greengage here, given I've been watering it well during August... it did look a bit peaky in June, despite the wet first six months of the year, so it'll be interesting to see what it looks like next spring. Meanwhile, the cherry, which always seemed to look a bit stressed, is looking splendid this year.

Mind you, a lot of the local walnut and horse chestnut trees are looking decidedly autumnal already, so maybe my greengage is just showing solidarity. We'll see...

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 344

Neighbours have the fan palm and it's done well in the sunny climate of south derbyshire. Only known him to wrap the crown once and that was about 5/6yrs ago when we had a bad winter. From memory it was an old hessian type sack with straw inside.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Stevo_666

Good to hear that Oxo. I expect Mrs. 666 will be keen to protect her prize plant even if it doesn't get that cold down here very often.

• orraloon

Feedback from pro gardener / instructor. Things to look out for: wet and cold. Make sure soil bed is free draining, no risk of water saturation esp in winter months. Rec to add some grit into planting bed. As said before, cold protection in winter. You will get risk of colder, continental type temps compared to here. Ideal winter protection is to use some chicken netting type wire wrap around stuffed with straw so keeping air flow and reducing moisture build up, with fleece layers over the top.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

They can just burn tenners as they are all multi-millionaires.

• Stevo_666

Thanks 'Loon, appreciated 👍️

Wet shouldn't be a problem - soil is dry and well drained - we are on a sandstone outcrop - and the palm is at the top of the hill so no waterlogging. Cold will be an occasional problem down here but good idea to have some sort of protection like the one you mention as we do have the occasional cold snap.