Wahoo Kickr Core

cmhill79
cmhill79 Posts: 139

Hi All,

I want to buy a Wahoo Kickr Core but trying to work out if my bike specs are supportive.

I’m on a 2022 Scott RC Foil 30 road bike. I can’t find what the size of the rear hub thru axle is.

Appears Scott to make some super boost thru axles but not sure if that applies to road bikes or only mountain bikes.

I’ve looked at manufacturers website but it’s not clear.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,775
    edited May 1

That's a stunning bike the 2022 RC30 - you sure you want to put it on a turbo.......?

If no one can categorically answer it on here, and you have a facebook account, I would join this page and someone will know: https://www.facebook.com/groups/818863784815005

Actually, this page may have what you need:

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/part-finder/scott/foil/foil_rc_30_2022?bikeimage=1079

Can you not just buy a cheapish 2nd hand Scott Speedster or something with a similar geometry and pop that on there instead?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708

Super Boost only applies to mountain bikes, and only some of them at that (generally long travel enduro type things). Your Foil will be a 142x12 rear end which is compatible with the Kickr Core.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,730

Op, you may have already made u your mind, but I would echo what @daniel_b says about sticking the Scott on a turbo. That s a very nice bike and I would hate for you to damage it in some way on a turbo trainer. Have you not got an old bike spare that you could use instead (or even buy a cheap beater off FB perhaps?).

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851

All you need is an old aluminium frame with a support to the front forks. You don't really, even need a working rear derailleur.

• daniel_b

I'd agree to a degree (Lot of gree's there) but ideally I'd want the geometry to be fairly similar.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • navrig2

I meant and took that as read, in fact more than similar.

• hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 114

I'm kind of in this camp with old bikes etc. I changed my set up on core to virtual shifting and have towels sweat catchers etc so how much damage can you do?

I'm currently putting an old propel without any derailleurs or functional shifters on it. If I ever get the time. Virtual shifting is pretty handy. No messing about with indexing of gears.

• navrig2

I have disconnected my RD - there was the start of chattering and I could be arsed fiddling with the adjuster. I now run in the highest gear on Trainer Road. Full size from chain ring (not compact) and 11 or 12 on the rear. THis is not what TR suggests but it doesn't have too much of an impact. It just changes the "wattage floor". I asked about this on the TR forum:

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/too-high-a-gear/88604

• daniel_b

That's a notable step @navrig2

I did have issues with both front and rear shifting, but my brother was over staying with us last year, and I commissioned him to rectify it for me - I did need a new FD, but that was no big deal.

For a time I too roe only in the big ring, and like you use TR, and had no issues.

However I have since returned to the small ring (Although I will alternate to some degree), and tend to use probably 5 or 6 of the cogs on the rear cassette (It's a 9 spd) to spread the wear more evenly, but keeping on one cog for one workout if that makes sense, and then changing to a different cog when I am next on the bike.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,730

To be fair I do the same. I use the Turbo for 90 min endurance sessions or set threshold intervals so I just keep it in a 52 x 12 and set all required power targets on ERG mode. I appreciate this method is not for everyone though!