Shimano Tourney Rd TX31 service?

Hello fellow forum users,

Probably best to ask here under MTB workshop...

I have Tourney group set on 2009 hybrid bike (Claude Butler Urban 100) that I'm deep cleaning. The rear derailleur (Tourney SIS RD TX31) doesn't look like the pivots (at the mount and the cage) are removable. There are decreet slot covers to just about reveal the c clips holding the pivot pins, but I didn't feeel confident in getting these off (very limited access) and put the c clips back on whilst tensioned.

I cleaned the rest of the unit with toothbursh, drip wiped chain oil to moving pins and bit of marine grease on jockey wheel pins. Everything moves very smoothly but I feel like half job done.

Can anyone confirm whether the pivots can be removed from the unit and if so, any tips or advice on how, please?

I appreciate it's an old discontinued groupset but the whole set feels functional so I prefer to delay sending them to the landfill just yet.

Thank you and happy cycling!

Comments

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 150

Just lube the pivot points and it should be OK given its still moves smoothly. Given there's some tension there it's probably best left alone as reassembly might be awkward. If it still works and does what you want then there's no need to replace it.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • accountdeleted
    accountdeleted Posts: 37
    edited April 4

Great thanks, that was also my thinking. The moving parts are all smooth when moved manually by hand. The pivots and the main spring all have good pull back, at least by hand.

I haven't put the components back on the bike so I'll see how it feels when it's been put together.