Customer service from the big brands

Hey everyone

I'm really disappointed with Cannondale's customer support. I cant find online chat or telephone number. Their FAQ doesnt address my issue. They say approach the local dealer - but thats not always convenient or appropriate.

What are others' experiences? How do the big brands compare? Could this be a BikeRadar article?

Cheers

Mike

Comments

• mbarber999
    mbarber999 Posts: 3

oh... and no response from Cannondale from the online form....

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Pretty typical. They aren't direct to customer.

What's the issue with asking a bike shop?

• pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383

Maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't expect any big manufacturer to address individual issues.

I would say this is exactly what the local shops are for.

• mbarber999
    mbarber999 Posts: 3

Its a design issue with the plastic insert into the garmin mount.... it fixes with a single centre screw. When you twist the Garmin unit on / off the mount, the screw cant hold the mount in place.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,703

Not sure which country you are in, but your first port of call should almost certainly be the shop you bought it from (whether that's the bike, the bar or the mount). If it is out of warranty, just go to a Cannondale dealer.

• hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 114

Do they not only cost a few pounds online? A few screws to change between Garmin wahoo etc.

Had an issue a few years ago with giant propel. Was told to go to lbs. Luckily my dad bought his bikes from them and I called to make sure it was ok. Frame replacement sorted, great lads. They know if I'm looking again I won't go past them if I can. Giant on the other hand not so much. I had to pay £250 labour for build etc. I'd of done myself if I was made aware. Despite having proof they stated they would pay for it. Apparently because I took a tcr over a propel.

I'm not sure I'd of went to lbs without my dad buying there though. I'm sure they would still have sorted it regardless. So it's worth a try. I bought from Rutland online, them and giant have since parted ways so I'd no option.

• froze
    froze Posts: 213

If you bought the bike at a bike shop then that's where you need to take it back to, you don't bother the bike company directly unless the bike shop refuses to help or they have gone out of business.

I had a problem with a 2019 Masi Giramondo, the frame would flex like crazy when it was loaded, but the bike shop I bought the bike from went out of business due to the COVID crisis. So I contacted Masi directly, and they told me to take it to a shop in town that was an authorized internet dealer, I took it to him, and he tested the bike and confirmed the frame was dangerous, He called Haro and they sent a new frame and fork to me. After receiving the new frame/fork I took it back to the internet dealer shop along with the old bike to do all the parts swapping, but when he contacted the Haro they would only give him store credit, which is typical by the way, but this particular shop didn't do a enough business with them to make a credit work out ok. Hario refused to pay him, thus he refused to do the warranty work. To hell with it I took the bike to a non-dealer, a shop I knew well, they did the work. I contacted Haro about the labor, and they sent me a check for the labor! That one worked out extremely well.

But about 20 years ago I had a Ridley Scandium bike I bought from a dealer, about 8 months after I got it I noticed a 1/2 inch hairline crack on the headtube coming down from the headset, took it back to the dealer, and yup, warranty problem, but after months of the shop and me going back and forth, a marketing rep coming to see the bike, then he took it back to his office, and sent it to Ridley, Ridley said they would not warranty it because the failure was due to fatigue...fatigue? after 8 months of riding? We went around and around some more but to no avail, all Ridley would do was offer a discount price on a new frame, but the discount price was barely anything. That one did not work out so well.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited May 24

I think the only time you would expect to go straight to the manufacturer would be for a direct to customer company, such as Rose, Canyon, Ribble Planet X, or when the place you have bought from has gone out of business since, or like @hpaul's example, had parted ways with the company.

Two great examples I have had of sublime customer service, was the bike I bought on the C2W scheme from Balfes bikes - it came with not the advertised GRX crankset, same ratios, but different brand, I forget which one, but it was one of an equivalent value, and I know the manufacturers always have the caveat that specs can change at the drop of a hat.

My problem was I had a 4iii hollowtech crank ready to go on.

They could have told me where to go of course, but I asked politely and had spotted they had a next tier up GRX800 crankset for sale on their site - they agreed to fit it for me, and the required new BB.

I was fully prepared to pay for the labour at the very least, and maybe even the parts if I got to keep the old ones to sell on, but they did it for no cost whatsoever, and as I dropped the bike in on my way into London, and collected on my way back, there wasn't even really any extra fuel charges for me to incur - incredible service.

Oh and they fitted some tyres to the bike I had bought (not from them) for free as well.

I'll definitely be going back to them in the future.

Bicycle parts related - bought an Ortlieb quick rack from Tredz.

Didn't open it for a few weeks, and then had to fit it as me and my partner were going on a 1 night away tour thing.

Realised upon trying to fit it, 1 week prior, that one single bolt was missing, and as it was a specific size and in a place that would affect safety, I couldn't run without it, and despite having an extensive range of spare bolts, did not have anything the right gauge (I've since rectified that situation).

It was the weekend, so nowhere was 'open' but decided to drop both Tredz and Ortlieb an e-mail with the issue, and a picture with the missing part circled clearly.

Had no reply from anyone, but a single bolt rocked up in the post direct from Ortlieb on the Tuesday by first class post.

I dropped them a very complimentary e-mail straight after to which they did reply to share their thanks.

Some Mavic wheels I bought from Royles (Anyone remember them?) developed a rattle before the warranty was up (just) but Royles had been taken over and didn't stock Mavic.

Contacted Mavic, and they said to go to my LBS, so took it to them, they packaged it up and sent it off, and it was returned fixed with a new rim - I had to pay the courier charge I think, but well worth it.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18