Bottom bracket cable guide issues

Folks,

Was out with my son last Sunday and the Bottom bracket cable guide snapped on his bike. So I ordered a new one this week, was putting it on and over tightened the bolt securing it to the frame - not by much, but enough to damage whatever was securing it. So now the bolt and the guide are loose. 😡

I took out the bottom bracket, but there was no evidence of anything inside the frame the bolt was threading into. So it seems like the frame itself was threaded for the bolt, which I have now wrecked.

What is my best option to repair?

I have never used helicoils before, not sure they are suitable given the location. I could just glue the guide on with Gorilla Mounting Tape or similar.

Ray K

Comments

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 123

You could try next size up depending on your starting size. M3 to M4 isn't a massive jump as is 4 to 5. However you could try thin double sided tape to actually stick the guide on then using threadlock on the existing screw and just nip it up rather than tighten it up. Best using a new unmolested screw in the hope the thread itself is better than the old one.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

What oxoman says, but without the tape.

I'm in a similar position. Once everything is in place the cable tension is enough to keep the guide on. The screw is held in place with the threadlock and basically acts as a dowel stopping the guide from moving.

Should things be so bad that threadlock is insufficient to hold the screw in place then you will have no choice but to get the hole re-tapped for a larger screw. That may also lead to further complications. Can the guide accept a bigger screw? Is the shell thick enough for a bigger screw?

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    edited March 29

"Once everything is in place the cable tension is enough to keep the guide on."

^ this.

I have a couple of bikes where I've put a blob of silicone sealant on, pushed on the guide, then fitted the cables.

No screw, just the blob of gloop.

No problems, at all, ever.

• RayKinsella
    RayKinsella Posts: 50

So the thread in the frame was completely stripped, and beyond repair. A 5mm bolt was sliding in and out. So I was looking at tapping the frame again for a 6mm bolt. I wasn't mad about that solution, as it is irreversible and not something I do very often.

In the end, I found there was enough room between the frame and bottom bracket to fit a flat nut. Doesn't appear to obstruct the bottom bracket at all. Hopefully this is a winner.