Ronde 2024 - Spectating advice sought

andyrr
andyrr Posts: 1,822

My daughter and I are heading to Ghent as our base next weekend to watch the Tour of Flanders. I went across around 12 years ago and saw the Brugge start then went to the Oude Kwaremont and the foot of the Muur Geraardsbergen where we saw the finish on a big screen after the riders passed through.

That was pre the modern looped route and I wonder what the options now might be see the race at least a couple of times especially as it starts in Antwerp which is away from Ghent and away from the central part of the real action.

They now do Kwaremont 3 times and Paterberg 2 times but they are the only hills they repeat so it seems a bit of a funny route to work out - my we can park at 1 location and walk to a 2nd?

Comments

• andyrr

No-one?

Current thinking, prior to arrival, is to park near to the Kwaremont to see them up there 1st time, walk to Paterberg to see them there then return to Kwaremont for the 3rd ascent of that climb.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,805
    edited March 29

You’ll struggle to get on the fun bits on the kwaremont as they’re fenced off for ticket holders.

Paterberg will be 5/6 deep.

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,619

It's busy! Much busier than Paris Roubaix and less favourable terrain for running/driving between sections.

My tactic was to just go to the Oude Kwaremont. Get a decent position to watch I think 3 passages of the men and 2 of the women. There are also TV screens, beer, and food. When I went, one side of the climb was ticketed the other side not. So not as bad as Rick suggests 😉

There are buses from the car parks to take you to it.

Hope that helps! Have fun!

• andyrr

Y, thanks dish_dash that's exactly what we did, had to park on a main road about 4kms down from the Kwaremont then walked up. Busy, really busy, more so than about 12 years ago when I was there previously. Watched 1st ascent then moved down a bit for 2nd and 3rd then waited to see the women ride up in lashing rain before returning downhill. Great atmosphere and seeing the men cruise up 1st time then seeing them looking so much more fatigued next 2 showed the strain that they all suffered from. We'll return again soon, would love to be there for a extended time to see 2 or 3 of the races in the area.

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,619

Glad it worked and you had a good time!