Gravel drop bars don't fit bike boxes/bags

I have a spent ages researching bike boxes and bags to take my Scott Addict gravel (XL) on holiday with me and the handlebars are reducing the choice considerably. At the the start of the drop the bars are 450mm across but at the bottom of the bars they have flared out to 550mm. This is too wide for boxes designed for aero bikes (Bike Box Alan, you are missing a trick here)

Taking the bars off (either off the stem or the stem itself) is OK, but the semi-integrated hydraulic brake hoses don't allow for much downward movement. I have managed to fit it in an Evoc bike bag Pro by removing all the shims. But now the end of the bars are sticking into the wheel spokes on one side and the brake hoods doing the same on the other wheel.

This started me wondering why drop bars are so long. I realised on a ride today that I never put any part of my hand within 10 cm (4 inches) of the end of the bar because I'm always changing gear or braking. What is the point of this last 4 inches? Can I just cut it off and then it would fit much better in the bag? Has anyone done this?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    edited March 19

The likes of Bike Box Alan and most I've seen necessitate the removal of bars. This is a downside of the hydraulic system if you can't do that. The extra length on your bars is for keeping low while sprinting. Your choice if you want to chop the bars.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.