Milan-Sanremo 2024 ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,393

Time for the monument that folks seem to either love or hate: La Primavera. This year it's a handful of Kms shorter.

Climbs.

Final Kms.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,292

It's a big day when you're starting at 8.30

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    edited March 16

Wife needs a lift to her friend's house at 4.

Hope we crack on today.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,163

Thanks Blazing!

Looking at the roadbook, they should hit the first of the Capi at 15:30-16:00 CET, the Cipressa at 16:20-17:00 CET, and the Poggio at 16:40-17:20 CET.

Projected finish at 16:45-17:30 CET

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453

Let’s hope Pog is true to his word, as he was at Stade Bianchi, and attacks on the Cipressa.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,233

You'd think forming the break from a few Italian pro-conti teams could have been done by email and didn't need a meeting.... (yes, I am apparently watching the whole race)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    edited March 16

Break of the day are away, 11 of them - the usual suspects plus A Movistar, DSM and FDJ

Tonelli makes it for the fourth year running

Lidl-Trek seem keen to keep it very close, it went out to about 2'30" and it's back down to 1'35"

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,813
    edited March 16

Not sure he has the 3 minute power to wait to the Poggio.

Main thing is to watch how hard UAE make it early on.

• No_Ta_Doctor

They're going to absolutely smash it up Turchino, I'm sure.

He got battered waiting on Poggio last year, but he's looking in really good form and pretty powerful from Strade Bianche

• tailwindhome

The break given a massive 2 mins11

• No_Ta_Doctor

They really aren't happy with it being that big. Bet there are a few phone calls going round the team cars right now

• No_Ta_Doctor

Predictions are for a record breaking speed, there's a light tailwind

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,295

Of course UAE are going to smash it up before the Poggio, but if - as Bianche showed - Pog’s form is ahead of last year (which would make sense with his Giro ambitions) and he’s currently hitting the numbers he displayed at last years Ronde (where he dropped MVDP and WVA on the Kwaremont - a climb with similar characteristics to the Poggio) - he could more feasibly drop everyone this year when he couldn’t in ‘23…

• No_Ta_Doctor

The thing I love about this race is that the favourites are always up there, but the actual winner is always unpredictable. The last repeat winner was Oscar Freire in 2010 (his third), the last back-to back winner Zabel in 2001. Yet Peter Sagan had 9 top tens - including two 2nd places and FIVE fourth places without winning it. Gilbert had 5 top tens (two podiums) without winning.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313

It would be a suicidal move. UAE are going to make it very hard on the Cipressa, with Maxtin saying they need to climb it in under 9 minutes, to reduce the front group down significantly. Pogacar has to wait untill the Poggio, but hopefully he'll save it all for one huge attack over the top, rather than the repeated accelerations he's made in previous editions.

• tailwindhome
    edited March 16

The only viable tactic for Pog is to have his team make the race as hard (fast) as possible for the last couple of hours then sit on MDVPs wheel on the Poggio. Let others attack and make MDVP chase them back and hope to counter that. It really is a 'be prepared to loss' scenario.

He simply doesn't have the power to drop MDVP.

• rick_chasey

So so far UAE are not. Tempo controlled by Alpecin

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313

I saw him do exactly that on the Kwaremont last year. As did everyone else.

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,580

Is it worth watching yet?

• tailwindhome
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453

Really don’t get why they don’t have the confidence to let the break get more given the distance available to chase it down.

• tailwindhome

MDVP on TV a lot

• No_Ta_Doctor

Well there are two teams with three riders who could bury themselves and leave one man fresh, and there's a light tailwind.

• rick_chasey
    edited March 16

UAE take to the front on the Capi

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,422

Just joining at 45k to go Seems fast as fffk.... They ahead of schedule ?

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Always crashes going into this phase of MSR

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey

Crashes. No big riders

• rick_chasey

Laporte off the back on uae pressure

• mididoctors

Laporte cracks