Brain recalibration - a cost of living/modern life thread

191011121315»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385

I’ve recently been approached to see if I’d be interested in a job and the salary would be 43% higher than I’m on now so it’s obviously tempting. However, I chucked the salary I was on when I started a very similar role with a similar sized company back in March 2016 into the BoE inflation calculator and if my salary had increased in line with inflation since then I would actually be earning £6k more a year than is on offer with this role.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313

If you had said 2016 that the minimum wage for an 21 year old would be almost 24k I'd have said you were mad.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156

FWIW I'd say doing a "sliding doors" comparison is pointless and futile. If you're happy you're happy. If you're not happy do something about it.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    edited July 14

Sure, as I’ve said before where I am now has come from conscious decisions regarding work life balance. I was just surprised to see how much further on salaries have gone. Even allowing for the change to my current job and salary cut I took, I’d previously only had one pay rise which was less than 2% between early 2016 and late 2022.