Canyon vs Orbea vs Cube downcountry bike

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a downcountry bike out of the following 3:

I'm also open to alternatives up to 4700 EUR (should be shipped from Europe). What I care about the most is climbing performance (from smooth tarmac to gnarly technical rooty trails). Second important factor would be general comfort on the bike, for day-long rides. And third factor would be downhill performance. Currently I have a 470mm reach, 100mm fork aluminum hardtail, that of course climbs ok on non-technical stuff. However, on stuff like roots, where riding out of the saddle is the only option (on a hardtail at least), I feel like an efficient full sus bike would do better. I also want to have more fun on the descends, without being forced to brake so much in order to not fly off the bike. So basically I'm looking for a bike that:

• climbs as well or better on tarmac and easy terrain
  • climbs definitely better on technical stuff
  • descends definitely better

compared to my hardtail. What would you go with?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446

The only advice I can give is to read as many different reviews of each bike as you can. Then compare the geometry tables. Pay attention to Reach and Stack. Then test ride if at all possible (probably not an option). Failing that, look out for one of your target bikes on the trail and speak to the rider. Most riders are proud of their bike and are happy to talk about it. If you are interested in buying one, they may allow you to sit on to try it for size. If you have an LBS that stocks them, but doesn't allow test rides, they will definitely let you sit on it and may even allow a spin up and down the carpark.

• cpper
    cpper Posts: 42

Thanks Steve! Indeed, testing won't be an option. Geometry wise, I wouldn't want anything longer than my current hardtail (470mm reach, 660mm top tube effective). The Canyon and Orbea both seem to have slightly longer reach (480,472), but quite shorter top tube (633,623). Not sure how much of a difference that would be.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702

If the reach is longer and the top tube is shorter, then the seat tube is probably steeper, though it could be influenced by how the top tube is actually measured. That's not a big surprise, seat tubes are getting steeper as it helps on steeper climbs. When you say you wouldn't want anything longer than your current bike, what riding position are you thinking of when you say that? Reach is most relevant when standing up as it uses the bottom bracket as a datum. Top tube length becomes more relevant when thinking about sitting, this is made more complicated by seat tube angled changing.

Unfortunately the only real way to understand how these changes affect the ride is to ride. There may be ways to perform a test ride. Canyon have a list of events where you can do a test ride if any of these are near to you: https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/events/ Otherwise, if you can find any demo bike with similar geometry even if it's not one on your list that would help.

• cpper
    cpper Posts: 42

I was referring to length while seated. I remember my current hardtail initially felt uncomfortable, as I was feeling quite stretched on the bike. I moved the seat to the front as much as allowed, and got used to it meanwhile. Probably the 3-4cm shorter bikes (Canyon and Orbea) would feel ok, but I imagine other factors such as stack or handlebar/stem also play an important factor.

• BritanMay
    BritanMay Posts: 1
    edited March 29

Since climbing performance is a top priority for you, the Canyon Lux Trail CF8 could be a great option with its lightweight and efficient design. The Orbea Oiz M10 is also known for its climbing prowess and comfort, making it suitable for day-long rides.

The Cube AMS ONE11 C:68X TM 29 offers a good balance of uphill efficiency and downhill performance, providing a fun and stable ride. It's great that you're considering your comfort and enjoyment on the descents.

When you're ready to hit the trails, don't forget to protect your new bike with comprehensive insurance. https://sundaysinsurance.co.uk/ offers coverage for bicycles and e-bikes, ensuring you're covered against theft, damage, and more.