Fork Recommendations

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'm new to somewhat serious road biking. I have a nice, aluminum bike, but decided to build my own steed.

I obtained a really nice 90's Scapin "Geo" frame...very light steel frame. I need fork recommendations and a little direction. I think I want to stay away from a carbon fork, as I don't want to shell out big money for a quality carbon fork. I also want to stay away from cheaper priced carbon forks. I kind of live by the "you get what you pay for" mantra, and I don't want to risk a serious accident due to a faulty Chinese manufactured fork. I've considered the Ritchey Comp, which is at the higher end of my budget. But even then, I'm a little concerned about the longevity of a carbon fork and the catastrophe that can occur if one breaks when I'm traveling along at 20+ mph.

So I think I want to go with a steel fork. And that's where I need recommendations. The frame has a 1" diameter head tube and is about 5.25 inches long. I don't mind a threaded fork. But since the frame is somewhat "high-end" for the time period, I'd like to match it up with a more high-end fork. Any recommendations? In that regard, I will need recommendations as to how long the steerer tube on the fork should be, at the least.

Thank you so much!

Comments