When/How to Replace Sealant?

Hi. My wife's commuter eBike has Marathon Plus's with tubes I filled with Slime sealant.

It's been in there for over a year. Should I top up or replace? If I replace do I chuck in new tubes or just squeeze what's left out of the old ones and top up again?

Ta.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• Danyradar
    Danyradar Posts: 11

I don't use Slime, but my friend is using it. If your wife's commuter eBike has had the Slime in its tubes more than one year now, perhaps checking how the sealant is right now would be wise. If the sealant works properly, you might not need to add extra, since Slime gets thicker as time goes by. If your wife uses her bicycle often, it will stop the Slime from coagulating in just one place and making the tire uneven. But if the sealant looks like it is not working well anymore, or there are signals that it has become dry, perhaps it should be changed. To change this sealant, one could put in new tubes or take out the old ones, squeeze out any left-over sealant out and then fill them again with new Slime sealant for best results. You might expect to change tubes every couple of years.

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 145

Personally if they're proper slimed innertubes as opposed to tubeless I'd just replace every couple of years. Slime doesn't appear to go off as quick as tubeless sealant. Given the price of them I'd just bin the old ones.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,455

Thanks both. Might just get some new Conti Tubes and bung those in and fill with Slime. Got loads of the stuff and it will be significantly less messy than squeezing out the old stuff.

Yes, she does ride it a lot so no chance of the Slime coagulating.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 145

Just get prefilled ones off Internet or halfrauds.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.