Gravel or road? Need advice please.

Hi All,

New to this forum. I'm from the Montreal (Canada) area and for the last 2 years have really enjoyed biking trails in and around town. Currently, I have a 15 yr old Giant hybrid which I paid something like $500 back then. I dusted it off, tuned it up and started about 2 yrs ago. eventually I got better and faster, and now it's really not cutting it on gravel despite new tires and other stuff added. I really love getting out and I'm ready for a big upgrade! 😀

I like camping trips and maybe even doing some getaways... I plan to do at least 65% of my biking on gravel trails. When I can't leave the city for an adventure I still want to bike roads and trails.

I've set aside a budget of some 3000 to 4000 US for a good bike as I don't want to struggle or get stranded on a trail. That said, I need some advice on what would best suit me. Just FYI: I don't want to race, just get out and enjoy riding.

A bit of background: I'm 56 yrs old and my youngest still lives with me (19 yrs old). I'm single so most my biking will be alone. I'm active and healthy and love the outdoors. Running is too brutal on my knees. I still enjoy a good hike, but prefer biking - easier on the knees and still getting outdoors.

I don't plan to bike in the winter for now as it's pretty icy and dangerous here. I prefer skiing winters. I would still like to keep it up with a stationary bike stand for the house in winter.

I could use some advice here so any input would be really appreciated. My knowledge of new bike tech is very limited - would like something comfortable for long rides. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,840

Not much help on the bike choice front but I used to enjoy cycling out to Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue for lunch and back. Although this was way back in the day when Quai Sera existed.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099

Hi there, welcome to the 'board. I own both but if I lived in Canadaland (if only) I would get a gravel bike. You can always pick up a spare pair of wheels and fit road tyres. If you're not bothered about sportiness, there's a zillion choices - I won't recommend as your market is different to here in the UK (eg I ride a Cotic, but doubt that's available in the land of the rising Maple Leaf).

Personally, I have found 'gravel' riding in the UK an absolute riot: note that in the UK, actual 'gravel' like that stuff the Americans seem to have in abundance is pretty rare; we're talking woodland trails, towpaths, etc, all covered with a nice thick layer of mud. Much more technical.

My experience of spending a short time in BC is that it's not that dissimilar - although I can't comment on Quebec, not been there.

You could try reaching out on social media to some of the US commentators - Caley Fretz, say?

Anyway, peace and love.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,599
    edited March 6

Not massively sure what prices are like where you are, but what I would say is concentrate on the gearing and the groupsets, I'd probably not worry too much about the frame material, and make sure it has got the mounts you want/need, ie for cage packs, water bottles, and rack and or mudguards should you want them.

For me, over in the uk, I find a 48/31 with an 11-34 on the back works really well - I can still move along on the road at a very good speed if I up my cadence, but also have the lower gears as well.

I'd also suggest looking for a double up front, as opposed to a single, as the gearing will be a lot closer together without the huge jumps you get with something like an 11-50 cassette.

Additionally replacement cassettes are much cheaper and easier to source, plus you'll have a choice of manufacturer.

IMO GRX would be the logical groupset (400, 600, 800 are the quality grades) of choice I would say, and whatever you do, ensure you don't buy a bike with mechanical disc brakes.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 467

I guess it depends upon exactly where you live but I would imagine that you have a lot more gravel than road, the opposite of the case in most of the UK, so getting a gravel bike is a no-brainer.

Gravel tyres will be slow on the road, not that speed really matters that much, but if you end up doing more road cycling and you want to roll a bit easier on tarmac then it would make sense to invest in a second set of wheels that you can keep shod with road tyres.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,392

Have you looked at Genesis Tour de Fer or Croix de Fer?

I think these would tick the boxes for both touring and gravel and they are very well reviewed (plus I want one!)

Wilier Izoard XP
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623

Fairlight Secan if you can get one over there.

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099

OK, well in that case then let's suggest Cotic Escapade. Love mine.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Franky_1965
    Franky_1965 Posts: 2

So I went by a local Giant dealer and they suggested the revolt x as a proper fit. They also got me thinking about an e-bike but that’s toO much to throw in the “options” cart right now.

The option of getting road tires for the times I do city was also a good idea. I’ll make a decision either way as the snow is most gone and I’m itching to get out there. Thanks!