sungod Posts: 17,129

'ning

rather nippy, but at least it's dry

ride cafes laze bubbly

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083

Walk hounds, run but most of all get back before his birthday worship gets up, then try not to act surprised at his presents. Hopefully take him out for a drive 😬

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090

Morning invertébrés

Brr frosty. On mend methinks.

Coffee...

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533

Hunc hanc hoc, huius huius huius.

Having a pal over for a late lunch. Morning of chores various. Afternoon of taxiing girls to rowing.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,611

Decent lie in. Quick schlep to the supermarket for supplies then off out into the Kent countryside for a ride with a mate. Looking cool but dry and clear, so all good - just need to avoid the lanes which have massive full road width puddles and hidden potholes.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232

Decorating and dinner with folks later.

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659

Woke at 3:30am thanks to serious wind gusts, upwards of 90 km/h. Still howling when I got up, then (thankfully) post cuppa tea the power failed. Trees somewhere no doubt. Had to take spare car out of the shed, drive out through the back gate via paddock as electric gates dead. Good thing it's an AWD car...

Out for coffee then, and some chores. Home to power back on (yay!) but still blowing hard, with added rain. Shed ride to fill in the afternoon.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666

Saw quite a good bumper sticker in the supermarket car park: 'Don't park too close - I'm fat' 🙂

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217

'ning

Beautiful weather here on the way to/from the gym. Clouded over a bit now.

Got back to 2 PMs replying to a PM that didn't send. Still can't post photos.

Might have another go at getting that stuck bolt out of the car before the rain comes back.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Afternoon folks,

Slowish start and a little stiff after yesterday's exertion. Got a few bits to do before going to see the old dear. Both kids around this morning which was nice. Lad has now gone, lass is heading back south tomorrow.

Should probably go and look at my bicycle at some point.

• Stevo_666

Nice little 50k tour of Kentland done, for some strange reason my bike seems to be cleaner than when we set off 🙂

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 905

Afternoon

Now back in a snow free but gloomy East Yorkshire. Given the amount of food and alcohol consumed over the last few days, next week is looking like a food and drink free zone.

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232

Until Tuesday.

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083

Next week I’m in the states with my mate, I’m drinking a lot to get my eye in

• veronese68
  • beansnikpoh
    edited March 3

When I was in Dallas in Nov, I was taken by how Americans go for their "liquor" - punters getting deep into spirits and cocktails before dinner. I was also struck, as I was in NY in May, by how much alcohol costs in the US in GBP terms - small beer $9, small glass of wine $13. Mind you, I've been hiring in the US, and they earn about 20% more than their UK equivalent. Mrs B³ and I are seriously thinking about moving for the last 10/15 years of our earning lives when/if mini goes to university. Her employer have already said they'll have her, just me needs to find a job, or persuade my current employer that their head of tax needs to be in the US.

• veronese68

20% more wouldn't be nearly enough to convince me to move there, 100% wouldn't do it come to that. Chasey seems obsessed with money and how much they earn over there, it puts me off the idea even more. Our company is US owned and MD over here is one of them. He doesn't want to ever go back. Says every time you meet someone they are prying about what you do, how big your house is, what you drive, etc as it's all one upmanship. Every time I book a holiday I get raised eyebrows from the bosses Stateside, so I make a point of telling them I'm having another holiday. That's before we get to the fact that they are crazy enough as a nation to have voted Trump in and are looking likely to do it again.

• beansnikpoh

Your last paragraph is the big big minus on my mind.

• pinno

Work/live in the US?! Not a chance.

• pinno

Think of all the different cultures and languages you can reach within 2.5 hours of Heathrow.

Re.: Trump. What VN said. 50% of the population gotta be thick Trump voting Walmartians.

• pinno
  • Stevo_666

Definitely worth doing a bit of homework on that. Not for me now, but I would have liked to do it when I was younger - just the opportunity never came up.

• Stevo_666
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

spent a fair time there, had an h1b, but the attraction wore off

if you're in the position to live and do what you want, where/when you want, and fly around, could be perfect, i've had some great times out in the sticks, there's so much amazing emptiness to explore, much preferred that to the towns/cities

but if you're in multinational/global business, chances are you're tied to a city and living there/nearby - i knew someone who lived in a lovely place and commuted by car 6-7 hours a day to/from the bay area, he thought he had a great work/life balance, i thought he was deranged

imo aside from a few big cities it's a bit of a cultural desert, the country club ffs i wanted to kill, and there was no 'neighbourhood', walk instead of driving? squad cars pulled up to check on the crazy englishman

a nice apartment with view over and next to central park could be ok, but not all year

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68

That's the biggest downside I grant you. Things like a friend's nephew telling me his kids don't have fire drills but have gun drills wouldn't affect me directly, but that is a whole other lever of insanity. Yet the gun lobby will still justify gun ownership. The Syrian dentist laughs at the US, he says whilst he comes from a completely broken warzone with countless atrocities, you don't get someone walking into a school to kill children on a regular basis.