BB30 query - drainage and new bearings

starfire
starfire Posts: 7

Hi,

I have owned a boardman 2012 aluminium road bike since new and decided it's time to look at the BB30 bearings.

I notice there appears to be a hole in the bottom of the shell (drainage?), it doesn't appear threaded - is this normal, as my MTB with BB30 doesn't have one.

Tried to attach picture but won't work so link here https://photos.app.goo.gl/A3fxAjTrH6pwMKK38

Also, what are best bearings to replace the 68062RS I removed with, non contact or contact or is that primarily down to conditions you typically ride in?

Thanks!

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700

Drainage, normal.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

the drainage hole is good thing, especially if the seatpost is open and can allow water in

without a drain hole the dirty water will pool in the bb, this can result in corrosion, especially between dissimilar metals, and also seep into the bearings where it can contaminate/corrode them

unless you're riding only in dry/clean conditions, i'd go for normal contact seals, fwiw i usually pack the bearings with a waterproof grease, it'll last a few years, you can always remove the outer seal every so often and squish some more grease in

https://simplybearings.co.uk/ are a reliable supplier

btw if the axle is tight and is aluminium, you can use freezer spray to make it easier to remove/refit (spray inside the hollow axle), after a few seconds the differential contraction vs. the steel bearings will loosen it

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • starfire

That's great, thanks for the replies all, appreciated 😀

• starfire

So, I bought a couple of NTN 6806 LLU (full contact seal) bearings from simplybearings which turned up today.

Compared to my old no-name 68062RS they seem very draggy (harder to rotate) which I'm a bit concerned about.

Would this make any real difference to me when cycling you think? I'm just a basic amateur.

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516

Seriously, not so you’d notice. The upside is better longevity.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

may simply be that the old bearings have less grease in than the new ones

but under riding load (which you'll never be able to apply by hand), the new ones may run smoother and lose less energy

either way it's negligible

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny