spd pedals double vs single

pep.fermi
pep.fermi Posts: 352

It bothers me to have single sided SPD pedals, so I decided to change them to double sided.

All said and done, bought new pedals, spd double sided.

Apart from the fact that dismantling the left was a very difficult task and in the end I solved it by heating the thread with boiling water...

It turned out the new ones, double sided instead of single, weigh more: a pair adds about 150g. Actually they have to be heavier: there is a double mechanism instead of a single one. I agree that these extra 150g is less than a fart, but an "upgrade" results in extra weight conceptually it annoys me....

Comments?

Do you have spd double or single?

Cheers,

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,864

Single sided A520s. They always sit in the correct position to clip in. If they don't then either the pedals have a problem, or you are hitting and spinning them.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 143

I use both. The A520s are on my touring bike and I've got double sided on my other bikes. TBH I find the double sided easier as I don't have to think about if their in the right orientation unlike the single sided which sometimes won't be the right way up. This is probably because they want tlc, but I'm not always the best looking after the maintenance. I can't really tell the difference between the 2 when riding either. As to extra weight I'm packing extra myself so a few extra grams makes no difference.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204

Convert your annoying thoughts to the fact you have a backup cleat on each pedal and it will be double the longevity. OK they are heavier but it's not a pointless weight addition.

Also, there is a quasar star which is SIX HUNDRED TRILLION times brighter than the sun so 150g is like infinity significant.

• focuszing723
    edited March 2

Basically, just think about the quasar star which is 600,000,000,000,000 times brighter than the sun whilst you're pedaling.

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,851

Double sided Time ATAC XS Carbons on hybrid, bought 2006 and the original brass cleats are still used on the dog eared Shimano shoes bought at same time for turbo use.

Single sided Time XPro 10s on road bike, bought 2019, original plastic cleats would probably have been replaced if I had used the bike more last year. Far kinder to my feet than the ATACs on 2hr+ rides, used to get sore and hot under cleat.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 352

Thanks

• focuszing723

No problem.

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099

150g...literally the last quarter of a bottle of water. I have both single and double sided SPDs, the single sided I must say benefit from my having used toeclips and straps back in the day, but both are great.

And I've never dismantled a pedal in my life.

It's just a hill. Get over it.