Bitex vs Hope hubs

Anyone got any experience and/or reviews? I'm getting Ryan of Ryan Builds Wheels to do me some new hoops, it's either these or an upgrade to Hope (+£150). both come coloured so that's extra nice!

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624

Bitex perfectly decent for a summer bike. They are simple, nice and light and fairly reliable.

Only consider the Hope if the wheels will be seeing winter/bad weather use. Otherwise not worth it IMO.

• Bitex are fine and Miche are also a good budget friendly hub. I have used hubs and wheels from a fairly lengthy list of manufacturers and to be honest never had any major issues with any, and they all seem to perform pretty similarly.

I have never even had a pair of hubs serviced from memory, and I ride a lot. I just replaced a set of 5 year old mavic kysrium's. Never had the hub serviced or even re-greased with around 50,000km on them through all conditions! The rim wore out but the hubs were absolutely fine.

Bottom Bracket's on the other hand, that is a different story!

• paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631

I've not used Bitex hubs but I built wheels for both my winter and summer bikes with Novatec hubs.

Both sets have now been rebuilt with Hope hubs at the rear.

The Novatec hubs were annoying. The hub bearings were very well sealed and are still perfect after 3 winters.

The problem was water getting into the freehub and causing rust on the pawls which pretty much stops the freewheel working.

This won't happen with the Hope hubs.

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    edited February 14

Purely nice days only, otherwise it's the turbo, winter bike or gravel munching time

Thanks all, Bitex chosen in red. Now, black spokes or silver, on a black bike? I think the whole bike being black apart from the hubs would be coooooool

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,879

Black spokes if you want the hubs to stand out. Based on assuming black rims.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsam

Carbontastic black rims. I figure red hubs are just a clear sign that they are handbuilts. Plus...football, etc

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    edited February 14

Good choice… gold hubs would be an even better one

left the forum March 2023
  • secretsam

My team don't play in gold. And I'm not a big fan of gold coloured things in general. Oil slick was tempting, tho'

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,671

No chance you can get red annodized spokes?

If not red nipples are nice. Fnarr.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273

Gold FTW

left the forum March 2023
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    edited February 15

Nah, orange is what you want...

• secretsam

Red. Although Orange is nice...

• Hope use propreitry bearings size with a 17mm ID and 28mm OD. Bitex hubs i find are good all year round for there disc brake hubs they use a 6902 bearings in the main shell so a standard industrial size.

I dont dislike hope hubs but when comparing them to other brands its start to be hard to justify there price. they are made in the U.K though. its a question do you want to pay for that. there are obviously difference that are hidden like tolerances but since you can measure these and neither can i one can never really know which is actually better.

Here in my shop i dont see a difference in bearing life thats noticeable. I see both hubs with bearings that wear out. The common issue is how the wheels are treated. If you clean the cassette while its on the wheel and the chain with degreasers and the rim that shorterns bearing life on any hub. That has a bigger impact than the brand of hub. Bearing size is the other factor but the load capasity of Bitex and hope disc hubs is similar.

so its impossible to make judgements about which hub is better when how the wheel is cared for is the biggest variable. thats wht i find anyway. those that clean the cassette of the wheel and the chain and dont wash the rim/hub get the best bearing life. thats me by the way. my bearing last ages.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk