Over-torqued handlebar clamp

Nifkin
Nifkin Posts: 52

Hi everyone,

I was tweaking my new bike's cockpit this afternoon and, due to misreading my torque wrench, I tightened up my 4-bolt aluminium FSA handlebar clamp to 10Nm when it should've been tightened to no more than 6Nm (the bars themselves are also FSA aluminium). I quickly realised the error, so loosened the bolts and re-tightened them to 6Nm.

My question is, would this over-tightening, however brief, have damaged the clamp or bolts? There doesn't appear to be any damage, and the bars are now clamped with no signs of slippage. Just wondering what leeway for error one has when tightening components at relatively light forces.

Obviously I don't want to take my ride out and end up with a face plant.

Thanks in advance!

He's the Chungwit, the biff-boff and the puff pastry hangman

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516

unless you have carbon bars I wouldn’t be concerned as long as all four bolts are now correctly torqued.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Over tightening for a brief amount of time, and at that torque, is extremely unlikely to do any damage. You would have to crank it up to the point of near instant failure for any immediate issues.

• Nifkin
    Nifkin Posts: 52

OK, thanks guys: I felt it should be alright, but to be sure I wanted a 2nd (and 3rd) opinion from people who have spend a bit more time fettling bike parts than I have! The four bolts in the clamp are now all tightened to 6Nm, so I'll stop worrying and get out riding first thing 👍🏽

He's the Chungwit, the biff-boff and the puff pastry hangman