Livestream platforms...

A slightly random question: has anyone here managed a livestream from an event? The context is that the orchestra I play in is doing Elgar's 'Falstaff', a long somewhat rambly piece of programme music, and if the audience doesn't know the story it's telling, they might find it, well, long and rambly.

So my idea is to have a bit of an experiment with a QR code in the printed programme which takes them to a livestream of a series of pretty Powerpoint slides telling them what bit of the story the music is trying to illustrate in music, not just leaving them wondering WTF is going on.

My first thought was Youtube, as being near-universal, and requiring no specific log-in, but is there anything else that might not be as data-hungry, but equally reliable?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159

My daughter did a Covid production of Avenue Q that was done with tickets and a code to allow access to the live stream. I’ll see if I can find the format they used, all I can remember is I had to cast it from the phone to TV so presumably it wasn’t YouTube.

• Pross

Can’t find the details unfortunately and my daughter can’t remember. I think it may have been Facebook Live though.

• Pross

For what you’re doing could you simply use a projector and screen and go old school? When I did a performance with the WNO that was all they did.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

Thanks Pross. We asked, and the cathedral can't manage it, and the nature of the building means that a lot of people would not see it if it were a single point to projected onto (and even that would be massively problematic). With the phone solution, it gets rid of the sightlines and 'screen area' problems (as well as being lots cheaper!).

There is also the aspect that on phones, accessibility isn't a problem for those with different sight problems, as the text size should be able to be adjusted to needs. It would also be newsworthy in PR terms.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

sound like you want a slideshow-type of thing, with slides changing at a certain time

it would be doable with html and a bit of javascript, then the audience simply point their web browser at the page and that's it, there are html accessibility features that allow text to be recognised by screenreaders for the visually impaired

if you've already got access to a website, host it there, otherwise you can get free/very cheap hosting for a trial period

main challenge would be synchronisation so that things transition at the correct time - alternative to fixed timing would be have the script simply page refresh every few seconds, while someone changes the page content manually at the right moment

simplest of all, have a single static web page with some titles saying what time the current bit of text goes with, then people can scroll through it themselves as the performance goes on, easy move back/forward if they missed a bit due to getting distracted

i'd go for simple, less to go wrong

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet

Thanks @sungod - yes, we've got a webpage, and amongst your options, I'd go for the "have the script simply page refresh every few seconds, while someone changes the page content manually at the right moment" option, as the whole point is that it will be difficult for the audience to know where we are in the story from the music alone, and we want to help them get a better handle on it.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

you could try something like this, haven't tested but it should work, it loads the url every 30 seconds (30000 milliseconds), probably other/slicker ways to do it...

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html lang="en">
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var url="https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13129948/livestream-platforms#latest";
    var yourWindow=window.open(url);
    setInterval(function() { yourWindow.close();yourWindow=window.open(url); }, 30000);
    </script>
    </body>
    </html>

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet

Thanks. Will pass that on to someone who knows what they are doing! But that's super helpful anyway!