Replacement tyres for Triban RC120

I need to replace tyres on my Triban RC120 road bike which I use for commuting into work (in London). I have the 700x28 tyres that came on the bike when I got them about 3 years now- Hutchinson Nitro 2 - they have some tears/gashes from broken glass.

What tyres would be good to get to replace the damaged tyre? Also I have seen that some tyres have folding in the title, what does that mean?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,939

For commuting in that width, I would recommend Schwalbe durano plus.

Only had one breach on two bikes and plenty of wet and mucky winter miles.

Wear well too, and I've had no problem with grip.

Fitting can be a challenge, but that can be said for any wheel/tyre combination to some degree.

Folding means it does not have a wire around the circumference, it also means it is lighter.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • wijcc
    wijcc Posts: 30

Thanks, is folding better or worse?

I have managed to take off the Hutchinson tyres to replace the inner tubes so hopefully i can manage any new ones. Are these any good?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Schwalbe-Durano-DD-Addix-RaceGuard-Wired-700c-Road-Tyre_222461.htm

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/schwalbe-marathon-plus-bike-tyre-700x28c-130016.html

• Some nice tyres like 28mm GP5000 would make your rides feel nicer, but if your commute route is full of debris that could give you punctures, then Marathon Plus would help... But they will probably be a pig to fit and the ride will feel a bit "wooden."

Folding bead tyres tend to be a bit heavier because of the beading material and can be a bit more stubborn to fit.

Conti 4 Seasons used to be a good puncture/performance compromise for many commuters, but they aren't ~£28 like they were ~5 years ago. Heard Durano Double Defence are similar, but never tried them.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wijcc

Thank guys, I got the Marathon Plus from Halford last night. It took a quite a while to get them on with a help with cable ties and got some sore thumbs this morning but they are on.

What psi do you guys run tyres, I previously had the Hutchinson Nitro 2 at 100psi (700x28)? Also do you use the same tyres on both the front and back wheels? I now have the new Marathon Plus on the back tyres and still have the Nitro 2 on the front tyres - should I now get another Marathon Plus for the front wheels too?

Thanks

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,939

Well done on getting the marathon plus on that quickly, you clearly have the knack!

The Marathon plus is pretty much bombproof, Royal mail used to use them on their post bikes when they had them, and we use them on our town bikes, and yes they are heavy and slow rolling, but you are extremely unlikely to suffer a flat as a result.

What width are the tyres you bought? I didn't realise they went down that narrow - assuming you bought a 28?

You don't 'have' to have the same front and rear, but it might be better, as potentially otherwise you might have different grip levels front and rear.

If you stick with the setup as it is for a few months, and then buy a matching Marathon, I'd personally swap the rear to the front, and fit the new one to the rear.

Tyre pressure - 100psi sounds high to me, but it's all down to width of tyre versus your weight/weight of the bike and luggage.

There are some useful charts online that will give you a ballpark figure - I normally go slightly higher in the rear than the front.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • wijcc

I have marathon plus (rear tyre) on 80 psi currently and 100psi at the front. I have 700x28c tyres.