Red Bull to acquire a majority stake in Bora-Hansgrohe?

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,449

It looks like Red Bull are about to take a controlling interest in the company that owns the Bora-Hansgrohe team:

https://www.bwb.gv.at/en/merger-control/2024/6510

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170

Pretty sure Red Bull are already involved in pro cycling......It just happens to be off-road....

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,653
    edited January 3

Given their budget for this kind of thing, presumably they'll be a pretty major team fairly soon? Baring in mind you could run a very top end team for the cost of one engine in each of Red Bull and Toro Rosso cars.

• roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505

There’s been a lot of talk in F1 circles that Dietrich Mateschitz was the main force behind their F1 interests. Apparently the guy that’s take over after Dietrich’s death isn’t as keen to spend so much on F1. Perhaps some F1 funding is heading to cycling.

I wonder if they’ll chase their sponsored athletes to change teams.

What chance now for the smaller teams.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159

I was also wondering how it will impact on the likes of Wout with personal Red Bull sponsorship. I assume that would have to stop on the road at least.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,653

They're a really high quality sports outfit in general, so if they bring the same attitude and professionalism over, they will soon be dominating.

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810

Isn't Pidders a Red Bull athlete too?

Given that Ineos spend a similar amount on the cycling team as they do on the rear wing of the Mercedes, I would imagine Red Bull can afford to run a high qualty cycling team

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159

Only off road I think, I don’t recall seeing him in a Red Bull helmet on the road.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

It was notable in his café ride with Matt Stephens that he had the RedBull helmet on, and poured a prominently placed RedBull at the café.

But I doubt merely being a helmet sponsor is enough leverage to start messing around with team contracts

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyrac

Bruni & Iles to Bora........😂 Both Specialized & Red Bull........Now that would be entertaining......

RB sponsors a lot of sports teams, but very few of the players actually become 'RB athletes'; there is a list on the RB website.....I don't think every Bora rider is about to become an RB athlete......

There was an article years ago ( on Cycling Tips) about the RB/Pidcock/Ineos arrangement; Ineos are connected/sponsor Mercedes F1 team - who have Monster Energy sponsorship. So on the road he'll wear a team issue plain helmet. PFP doesn't seem to be a RB athlete anymore.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited January 5

Deffo only off road for Pidders.

PFP is way too good for RB 😍

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyrac

RB have lost some XC riders recently with Batty retiring, and PFP no longer on their books. However they've signed Gravity riders....

I've always thought Puck would be the perfect RB rider....but it hasn't happened.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197

The latest Escape Collective podcast has a discussion on this. Ok, they may be towards the nerdy end of the spectrum but they do get to the point(s), certainly more concisely than e.g. on and on D Friebe. 😉

• daniel_b
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

Yeah that's where my head went first too 😊

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307

Supposedly looking at WvA and Remco.

• daniel_b

Can deffo see WvA going there, his previous coach went across to Bora too with Roglic.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18