Frame advice for new build

pbt150
pbt150 Posts: 316
edited December 2023 in Road buying advice

I’m currently riding a 2008 Specialized Allez with SRAM Red 22 and RS81 rim brake wheels as my ‘good’ bike. I’ve also got an old Reynolds 531c bike with 2x10 SRAM Force.

I have been slowly gathering components for a new custom build - disc brake FFWD RYOT 44 wheels with a SRAM 2x12 speed Red mechanical groupset via the Ratio upgrade kit. I want this to be an endurance bike that can handle fast club rides. I’m not interested in racing.

Essentially all that’s left to get is a frame. I have a shortlist of 3 frames - PlanetX Pro Carbon, Cinelli Veltrix and Fairlight Strael. The first two are carbon and the third is steel.

I‘ve never owned a carbon bike before, and I had planned on a carbon frame for the build. But then I read the reviews of the Fairlight and it sounds pretty incredible, the downside being the extra weight and the slightly ‘old-fashioned’ (or old school) nature of steel (and as mentioned above I do have a steel bike already).

I know if I get the Fairlight I’ll end up with a great bike. But I’m worried if I go for the Fairlight I might have a nagging regret at not going down the carbon route.

Am I being silly and letting the carbon bling/marketing get in the way of my better judgement? Thoughts gratefully appreciated!

Comments