GCN+ app bites the dust

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,870
edited November 2023 in Road general
oh bugg3r :'(

Have subscribed for several years now, so does that mean back to dodgy streams/downloads I wonder, or is it Discovery for £60 a year or nothing?

"Dear GCN+ Subscriber,

We are sending you this email as a valued subscriber of GCN+. We are very sorry to have to inform you that the GCN+ service and the GCN app will close on 19 December 2023.

What does this mean for you?

Access: Your subscription contract will end and you will be unable to access the GCN+ service and GCN app from 19 December 2023. Following closure, you can still use your GCN account on the GCN website at globalcyclingnetwork.com and the GCN Shop at shop.globalcyclingnetwork.com.

Upcoming payments: The GCN+ service will close on 19 December 2023 and you will be charged for any upcoming subscription payments up to that time. If you do not want to be charged for any upcoming payments, you can cancel your subscription prior to your next renewal date, however your access to the service will then end on that renewal date.

Refunds: If you have a subscription to the GCN+ service which is still running on 19 December 2023, we will arrange for a refund of any amounts that you have paid in advance for access to the service after that date. Please make sure you have a valid and up-to-date payment method. Refunds will be paid automatically, but in some instances may take some time to process for technical reasons.

Data: Following closure, your personal data will continue to be handled in accordance with our Privacy Policy.
We encourage you to contact our customer service team here to answer any additional questions about GCN+ and your subscription.

Thank you for subscribing to GCN+, we are very grateful for your support and for joining us on this journey.

Sincerely,

The GCN Team "
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Eurosport continues and no doubt with exactly the same presenters - they're just binning GCN+. GCN will be unaffected.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2023
    The vid says those in Europe will still have access to racing - I know the uk is geographically in Europe, but I wonder what we will be offered.
    Could be time for a VPN, but then there might not be an English language option :-(

Also likes the majority of their documentaries.

There is no ES Player anymore, only discovery.

I wonder if that is why Orla has taken on Rugby presenting, maybe she was given the nod that the studio show was going to be a thing of the past. Real shame if so.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Orla works for Eurosport and TNT, not GCN, and Eurosport aren't going anywhere.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Rats. 😠
  • JimD666
    Double rats. There's no annual price for a package that includes cycling. Only the £6.99 monthly option
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Bad news as actually the app was great for using on my Google TV. In the past used the apps for Eurosport, and Discovery....
    I suppose , as the GC website will stream ...? who knows that in the light of this announcement.
    The media giants behind the scenes , well thumbs up mateys, you'll lose a lot of customers, but you won't give a toss.
    I might actually just give up on watching pro cycling after God knows how many years....
  • daniel_b
    JimD666 said:

Double rats. There's no annual price for a package that includes cycling. Only the £6.99 monthly option

That's a shame, I haven't yet looked to see what is available on Discovery, but I can't see me paying £84 a year for it if that's the case.

ES Player used to be mighty value, and I was happy to pay £40 for the cycling cover plus documentaries and no ads, but with current squeezes on finances can't see that being stretched further for me unfortunately.

Apparently more details will be on the website soon for uk users, so we'll just have to wait and see, though why they could not have put that in the e-mail I'm not sure.
    jgsi said:

Bad news as actually the app was great for using on my Google TV. In the past used the apps for Eurosport, and Discovery....
    I suppose , as the GC website will stream ...? who knows that in the light of this announcement.
    The media giants behind the scenes , well thumbs up mateys, you'll lose a lot of customers, but you won't give a toss.
    I might actually just give up on watching pro cycling after God knows how many years....

I have used mine almost exclusively with my chromecast and it's been mega - the only negative is that you can windback live programs on the app or online, but as soon as you try and cast it goes to live only - that was my only real irritation.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

but with current squeezes on finances can't see that being stretched further for me unfortunately.

Stop buying all that green nonsense then.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973
    edited November 2023
    daniel_b said:

I just logged into ES on my phone (app) and laptop (web). 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • JimD666
    pblakeney said:

daniel_b said:

Think you're grandfathered in. No way (that I know of) of getting ES only without all the Discovery rubbish at this time.

As Daniel said. £60 is one thing. 50% increase I can probably live with. 100% increase with no increase in value smarts.
  • You'll get to see if you can spot the next Roglic during the four hills championship but from a cycling viewpoint it looks like quite a bit less for 100% more.
    I'm out.

Having said that, Nord VPN for GBP56 a year (minus affiliate discounts) for the privilege of brushing up on your Flemish doesn't seem great value either, unless you've got other reasons to use it.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,650

You'll get to see if you can spot the next Roglic during the four hills championship but from a cycling viewpoint it looks like quite a bit less for 100% more.
    I'm out.

Having said that, Nord VPN for GBP56 a year (minus affiliate discounts) for the privilege of brushing up on your Flemish doesn't seem great value either, unless you've got other reasons to use it.

They do some pretty heavy discounts: i think I paid that for 3 years.
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 186
    Used to watch the Giro on S4C. Don't speak Welsh but the commentary was better than that from Carlton Minniot and his mates from the pub who work on Eurosport. Dan Lloyd was good
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2023
    JimD666 said:

pblakeney said:

daniel_b said:

Think you're grandfathered in. No way (that I know of) of getting ES only without all the Discovery rubbish at this time.

As Daniel said. £60 is one thing. 50% increase I can probably live with. 100% increase with no increase in value smarts.
    Glad I gambled on ES in spring over GCN for £39.99/year. Auto renew at the same price too, apparently. Fingers crossed it remains that way. 🤞 £6.99/month for new subscribers. 😱
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • daniel_b
    Great punt indeed, I didn't bother as my GCN sub was good through til Jan 24 :#

Fingers crossed for you indeed, £84 is too much for me - there are other means of watching these things, or I may just pay for 1 months sub when a grand tour is on I want to watch.

Be a shame not to be able to watch lots of things live, but then in reality, the times when I could watch something not on catch up is pretty rare.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    daniel_b said:

Great punt indeed, I didn't bother as my GCN sub was good through til Jan 24 :#

Fingers crossed for you indeed, £84 is too much for me - there are other means of watching these things, or I may just pay for 1 months sub when a grand tour is on I want to watch.

Be a shame not to be able to watch lots of things live, but then in reality, the times when I could watch something not on catch up is pretty rare.

Fair point. I mostly just watch June to August. The classics are a bonus.
    That'll be my strategy if my renewal price changes. Even 6 x £6.99 would work.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • So as posted several times in this thread, the only thing you'll lose is the GCN+ app.
  • Also there's post in the comments from a Discovery+ subscriber who confirms that there are no ads during live races.
  • And GCN+ are actively working on a host for the documentaries.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

So as posted several times in this thread, the only thing you'll lose is the GCN+ app.

That and more money if you want service to continue, you seem to be ignoring that.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Do you honestly think that GCN+ would have stayed at the same price into 2024 and beyond?
  • JimD666

Do you honestly think that GCN+ would have stayed at the same price into 2024 and beyond?

No but going up by over 100% wasn't to be expected either
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2023

Do you honestly think that GCN+ would have stayed at the same price into 2024 and beyond?

10-20% increase would have been acceptable to my mind.
    JimD666 said:

No but going up by over 100% wasn't to be expected either

As well as seemingly losing all of the existing new documentaries, and foregoing any new ones being made presumably.

I watched a lot of them, and had several I was planning to watch, will try and cram them in over the next few weeks, maybe whilst on the turbo.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I just lost BT sport through Plusnet for 10 a month.
    They've changed to tnt sports and moved to discovery app and I think cheaper if you're with EE.
    Price gone up to around 25 a month.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

I just lost BT sport through Plusnet for 10 a month.
    They've changed to tnt sports and moved to discovery app and I think cheaper if you're with EE.
    Price gone up to around 25 a month.

I have TNT sports as part of my EE contract, so had been considering getting rid of GCN+ anyway. Worth checking.