A question about Birmingham airport PICK-UP of passengers

Has anyone done this recently?

I have to collect son and family on Friday, and going through the airports website it appears that they differentiative between drop-off and pick-up as to where you go to do this.

There is a premium drop-off at £4 and a free drop-off about 5-10 mins from the terminal.

However, for pick-up they want you to go to Car parks 1-3. (Quote from the website "They’re affordable too, with tariffs starting from £7.50 for up to an hour. " )

I get it, besides wanting to screw everyone for every penny they can, they don't want people hanging around waiting for passengers, but I'm guessing I can pick-up from the drop off locations.

Any tips?

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Ive picked up from the drop off - not for a year or so but can't see why not.

I'm guessing because you can't hang about too long there without needing a 2nd mortgage that they are just suggesting you use a longer stay car park.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Yes you can, but there is a slight risk if you get caught on a camera anywhere that they could, in theory, fine you. Probably unlikely though for a few minutes.

• As above, you run the risk of being caught on camera or by one of the parking attendants. It is then a minimum £50 fine.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    What is the grounds for fining someone for picking up and not dropping off?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

What is the grounds for fining someone for picking up and not dropping off?

At Manchester you cannot pick up at the drop off, it is very clearly segregated. They are really hot on that too.

On the plus side it is pretty clearly signposted.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Ive always picked up in the drop off at Brum - done it 4-5 times - never been fined or seen signs saying you shouldn't. Looking at the website yes it does suggest using the pay car park but I can't see where it says you can't use the drop off.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    I've done some googling. It seems the fines relate to a breach of terms and conditions and are legally weak, so bored people can successfully appeal. I'd try to avoid getting fined, but racketeering like that annoys me.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Thanks to all for the help and comments.

I decided to use car parks 1-3, at the cost of £7.50. It made sense as despite all the rest of the issues about whether I should be there or not, it would have required spot-on timing. Easy to do if you have to collect one person with just their hand luggage, not so easy with a family needing car seats strapping in etc.

Birmingham airport was bedlam btw, not inside but that 'fast pick-up' bit. There seemed to be a lot of people who couldn't get out. It looked as if someone wasn't paying or couldn't which of course makes the queue of cars behind them wait, and then go over the time! There were some very angry people.

The older I get, the better I was.

• DeVlaeminck
    Got to pick my daughter up tonight so will see what happens !
  • I always pick up from there. Never had an issue.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Yes it was fine and there were other people doing it. What wasn't so fine was the flight delay that turned a 10:30pm pick up into a 3am one through a snow storm.