Requiem

This forum is slowly, but surely, dying. The amount of posting compared to 5-6 years ago is much, much, much less.

The change seemed to coincide with the new format and the increase in adverts but, I suspect, lots of other forums are going the same way.

Pity as forums are much better at sharing valuable knowledge than social media channels.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The two other forums I use UKBouldering and UKClimbing seem to be thriving. Maybe it’s to do with the general down turn in cycling.
  • There seem to be fewer people asking genuine questions about cycling and equipment, as compared to a few years ago. That can be because of the explosion of videos... most seem to prefer watching a video on Youtube, rather than asking questions or talking about things. Majority of topics barely touch cycling issues, to the point that one wonders whether this is a cycling forum or a current affairs one. I post a small fraction of what I used to and most of "my generation", those who joined 15 years ago or more, have left. Generally speaking, it is no longer an interesting place to talk about bicycles... in fairness other cycling fora are worse.
    Times have changed... Blogs are a thing of the past... Facebook is a thing of the past...
    left the forum March 2023
  • It happens with a lot of fora or group pages, lots of activity when newish, gradually numbers decline and other fora take over.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851

There seem to be fewer people asking genuine questions about cycling and equipment, as compared to a few years ago. That can be because of the explosion of videos... most seem to prefer watching a video on Youtube, rather than asking questions or talking about things. Majority of topics barely touch cycling issues, to the point that one wonders whether this is a cycling forum or a current affairs one. I post a small fraction of what I used to and most of "my generation", those who joined 15 years ago or more, have left. Generally speaking, it is no longer an interesting place to talk about bicycles... in fairness other cycling fora are worse.
    Times have changed... Blogs are a thing of the past... Facebook is a thing of the past...

Agree with most of this. Even the non-cycling threads (Bottom Bracket) have become unusable with the ".....Day......" gibberish!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,618
    navrig2 said:

There seem to be fewer people asking genuine questions about cycling and equipment, as compared to a few years ago. That can be because of the explosion of videos... most seem to prefer watching a video on Youtube, rather than asking questions or talking about things. Majority of topics barely touch cycling issues, to the point that one wonders whether this is a cycling forum or a current affairs one. I post a small fraction of what I used to and most of "my generation", those who joined 15 years ago or more, have left. Generally speaking, it is no longer an interesting place to talk about bicycles... in fairness other cycling fora are worse.

Agree with most of this. Even the non-cycling threads (Bottom Bracket) have become unusable with the ".....Day......" gibberish!
    Think you’re getting your forum sections mixed up. Bottom Bracket has always been gibberish. Fuckwitt
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,575
    The thing that dismayed me most about club runs is that, on the cafe stop, people talked about bikes.

Past a certain point, it's just not interesting.

There are always people who want to pass on their knowledge, and some whonget off on being the most whatever in the room, but after a while its just ssdd.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,575
    And much of the cake stop stuff is interesting, and an illustration of the diverse range of while middle class males attracted to cycling.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,069
    navrig2 said:

This forum is slowly, but surely, dying. The amount of posting compared to 5-6 years ago is much, much, much less.

The change seemed to coincide with the new format and the increase in adverts but, I suspect, lots of other forums are going the same way.

Pity as forums are much better at sharing valuable knowledge than social media channels.

Many on here have seen it, done it, got the T shirt.

For someone so critical, you have averaged less than 1 post every 2 days over 10 years.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    pinno said:

navrig2 said:

For someone so critical, you have averaged less than 1 post every 2 days over 10 years.
    Agreed that navrig2 is a waste of space but you do realise by your rationale, we are all subservient to Mr Rick Chasey.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,524
    navrig2 said:

Its a bit of fun and little social club. Glad you don't join in the gibberish...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

navrig2 said:

Agreed that navrig2 is a waste of space but you do realise by your rationale, we are all subservient to Mr Rick Chasey.
    Well if it's about post count... :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

navrig2 said:

11k is about the sweet spot for quantity/quality 👍
  • the other thing is that technology has moved so fast that most have given up caring about bikes. Used to be the case that people bought bikes and tinkered with them, upgraded parts and components and asked lots of questions... right now I suspect the (not very many) bikes sold are used as such... it is fast becoming a market similar to the motor vehicles one... even the prices are getting very similar. I wonder how companies like Park Tools, which rely heavily on people tinkering with their bikes, are doing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,924

I wonder how companies like Park Tools, which rely heavily on people tinkering with their bikes, are doing.

Not very well from my limited sample of one.
    I got all my tools 12 years ago and haven't needed to buy any since.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

I wonder how companies like Park Tools, which rely heavily on people tinkering with their bikes, are doing.

Not very well from my limited sample of one.
    I got all my tools 12 years ago and haven't needed to buy any since.
    My wife was looking for a present, so I thought the Park Tool bearing press thingy with all the bits could be nice... 300 quid or so... then I also thought I'm probably going to use it once per year... so I redirected her towards some rather posh bar tape (still 10 times cheaper).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,682

the other thing is that technology has moved so fast that most have given up caring about bikes. Used to be the case that people bought bikes and tinkered with them, upgraded parts and components and asked lots of questions... right now I suspect the (not very many) bikes sold are used as such... it is fast becoming a market similar to the motor vehicles one... even the prices are getting very similar. I wonder how companies like Park Tools, which rely heavily on people tinkering with their bikes, are doing.

I think we're being pushed into it. I have no desire to have a bike with internal cables as it just adds to the hassle when tinkering, similarly I don't want to have to plug my bike into a computer. I'd still have a go, but I suspect I'm more prepared to do so than the majority of 'normal' people. I'd say people on here are outliers for tinkering with bikes.
  • People who do their own bike maintenance do seem to be in a minority, especially amongst new cyclists.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,862
    I used to do all my own bike maintenance, and even built a couple of bikes up from scratch.

Having a family means my time is far less available, so although I can still manage small jobs, most others I need to outsource. Combine that with the fact I have hydraulic brakes (Never gotten a handle or tried the whole bleeding of brakes thing etc) and fully internal cabling on one of my bikes, and you can see how things for me will go.

Perhaps a lot like modern non ev cars, usually the engine bays are almost completely inaccessible, with the exception of water/oil/screenwash etc.

They are trying to push you towards dealer servicing, and I half wonder in some way if the fully internal cabling and hydraulics is to push people to their bike shops.

Admittedly electronic gears are pretty much fit and forget (Unless the battery fails), and you could also argue hydraulics are low maintenance too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

navrig2 said:

11k is about the sweet spot for quantity/quality 👍
    You'll be past it soon :smile: