winter riding

13»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    edited November 2023
    paulbnix said:

My Bolt V1 was more accurate than the V2 I have now.
    The V1 agreed with my mates Garmin and with the forecast.
    The V2 is 2 or 3 degrees too low.

Yes I noticed this too.

Impressed with the thread and the amount of sub-zero riding happening.

I have always been weary of that, certainly on country roads, but doubly so after having a really sudden unpredictable off which broke the shoulder in Feb. The kind of off where you could do nothing about it.

What do you guys do about frost on the road - or is it just you know them enough not to take those routes?
  • I invested in a pair of studded tyres last year that allow me to use my usual lanes on my commute which have almost permanent run-off from the fields in a few places. Before that I used the main roads which is a shorter route, but there is a horrible narrow and winding section up a small rise where I've been overtaken by artics a couple of times which has put me off using that route again.

I have had the odd off over the years, but fortunately up to now I have bounced quite well. I am aware that as I age I am less likely to get away with it so I am becoming more cautious.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    Do studded tyres work on frost roads?
  • Yes they do. I haven't felt any loss of grip yet, not that I'm taking any chances on corners. I don't know how long they will last though, I've only ridden 60 miles on them up to now and I can't see or feel any significant wear yet.
  • paulbnix said:

My Bolt V1 was more accurate than the V2 I have now.
    The V1 agreed with my mates Garmin and with the forecast.
    The V2 is 2 or 3 degrees too low.

Yes I noticed this too.

Impressed with the thread and the amount of sub-zero riding happening.

I have always been weary of that, certainly on country roads, but doubly so after having a really sudden unpredictable off which broke the shoulder in Feb. The kind of off where you could do nothing about it.

What do you guys do about frost on the road - or is it just you know them enough not to take those routes?
    Would usually stay quite local and stick to main roads that have had plenty cars on them. I live reasonably near the coast as well, which is a good option to have.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,854
    edited November 2023
    I bought my first set of studded tyres ~5 years ago, 38mm 45Nrth Gravdals for my hybrid commuter. Each winter I typically fit them the night before the first morning forecast of sub 2C and leave them on until we have at least a few days of 5C+ minimum temps.

The 240 spikes per tyre less a few lost are very draggy, more so at ~40PSI for worse mornings (on safe days I can use more like ~55-60), but having rock solid grip on chilly days is amazing!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Very heavy snowing today here in Hamburg, next 10days temperature expected to stay below 0C. Not riding for a while, not even commuting. Will run and swim.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Minus 1.9 here in East Yorkshire so I won’t be going out on the Wednesday geriatric ride.
  • I put the studded tyres on the gravel bike last night and set it up for commuting, the forecast for this morning was -2°C .

It was 0°C this morning at home, and the puddles in the street were not frozen so I decided to use the cummuter bike instead. Once in the countryside the temperature dropped to -2°C so I decided not to chance the lanes and dealt with the unpleasantness of the main roads. My fingers were quite painful after 10 minutes, but another 10 minutes and I was generating enough heat to warm them up again.
  • Is the bolt temperature lower? I thought it was more the fact that with riding it picks up the windchill so it will read colder than the atmospheric temp? The other day with a strong wind mine read 1 degree, when I parked up outside the coffee shop and left it for 20mins it then went back up to 4 degrees which seems correct, as I wasn't riding into a biting headwind.
  • Windchill doesn't affect the temperature sensor. I expect the wall of the coffee shop was a few degrees above the air temperature and that's why your reading went up. I fit my Bolt onto my bike when I get it out of the shed in the morning about half an hour before I set off so it's stabilised to the ambient temperature, the temperature stays the same despite having a bit of a descent early on , it only drops when I get out of town.
  • Ah okay, interesting to know. Cheers @davebradswmb
  • oneoff said:

I've just changed over to my winter bike, which prompted me to post this photo of my 2014 cube peloton taken last year at Blackstone Edge Reservoir, which stands at the top of Cragg Vale. Cragg Vale is claimed by some to be the longest continual ascent in England.
    Forget the Turbo, buy some winter gear and get out there.
    You know you want to.

Best wishes,

Snap but on a slightly warmer day

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Yesterday the temperature was only just dipping below zero so I stayed with the commuting/winter bike, but today it was -5°C so the cyclocross bike came out with its studded tyres. Slow progress, but I was able to use the lanes without sliding about. I stopped on a patch of frosty tarmac to take this picture, my foot slipped when I went to push off but the tyres gripped.

• Kudos to you guys.
    Icy roads today so I drove. Shame on me but I'm just scared.
  • oneoff
    oneoff Posts: 29
    Here's another from me to keep this thread going and to encourage more pictures. No snow, just a little frost by the roadside.

This is the A640, climbing from Denshaw towards Marsden, known as Buckstones road and looking across the Colne Valley.
    It's hell being a pensioner and having to ride these roads. Sometimes I wonder how I cope.

Best wishes,
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    oneoff said:

Here's another from me to keep this thread going and to encourage more pictures. No snow, just a little frost by the roadside.

This is the A640, climbing from Denshaw towards Marsden, known as Buckstones road and looking across the Colne Valley.
    It's hell being a pensioner and having to ride these roads. Sometimes I wonder how I cope.

Best wishes,

Nont Sarahs
  • I cheated on Monday, I used the excuse of having to take cakes into work because it was my birthday to borrow my daughter's car. It took 42 minutes, just as long as it takes me with the studded tyres. I was so frustrated sitting in queuing traffic, I'm just not used to it anymore. How do people do it every day?

On Tuesday I had to go to a meeting with a colleague so yesterday was the first day on the bike this week. There was lots of water running across the lanes despite the freezing temperatures, but this was being carried along the road in both directions and freezing so I was descending and climbing on sheets of ice, not that there is anything particularly steep on my commute. I still took it very easy on corners, but had no issues with grip.

Of course today it has all gone, it was great to be back on the winter bike again, the journey took me 38 minutes, a little longer than usual because of a stiff headwind despite me putting a bit of extra effort in.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448

-6 commute this morning. Not too icy in these parts. Winter clobber holding up well but gears complaining slightly.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624

What gloves are you using? Pretty tough to keep the hands and feet warm in those temps.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448

Endura Pro Sl primaloft. But they are worn with silk glove liners (although not sure they make much difference.)

10mins into ride at sub zero, fine. Cold finger tips next 10mins, fine after, once body has warmed up.

I can’t recommend the Endura, which are also waterproof if you want toasty hands all the time. Mitten’s might be the way to go riding in regular sub zero.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I find the Endura Primaloft to be the best winter gloves I've used. Rare that I get cold hands in sub zero temps. They do a good job of stopping light rain but they're no good in a downpour. I'd probably swap to the Spatz Neoprene gloves in that scenario.

• mrb123

I'll probably try them next.

Currently got some Galibier Barrier gloves that are decent but sometimes do get found out in very cold conditions. Lobster gloves work well on the coldest days but are a bit of a nuisance to wear.

Whatever I buy in future, I'll definitely size up to allow space for a liner.

• mrb123

Seen a few people recommending these for very cold conditions. Taken a punt - £6.99 delivered from Amazon

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/304402_size7.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtaOtBhCwARIsAN_x-3J1tnJl67FlqpOIcS4R5oleSr8227VoCSBWyT7AePUb05WlIcg9AWsaAnEuEALw_wcB

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,366

I know it's probably overkill for SW London but having fallen on ice last January I bought some studded tyres for the old MTB. No more draggy than off road tyres but definitely helped my confidence this week. I am looking forward to getting back on my usual bike though.

• mrb123

Tried these today. Garmin said it was 5° but there was a bitter wind. Gloves were excellent, too warm if anything.

The fit isn't brilliant, a bit baggy on the hands for me. Once you're on the bike however you don't notice.

I reckon these will easily do 0° and below. An absolute steal for 6.99.