Realistic challenge

How realistic is it for unfit (173cm, 89kg) 54-yo MAMIL to ride some mountains next summer (slowly)? I really want to ride a mountain.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• quite realistic
    left the forum March 2023
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,029
    edited November 2023
    Sure you could, with some training over the winter...

Depending on how far you need to cycle to reach mountain base and how big a mountain meets your objective.

Do you have a "smart" turbo trainer? Plenty of apps out there with free trials that could enable you to ride the likes of Alpe D'Huez, Ventoux etc. and find an app that suits you in terms of routes and/or ERG workouts.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    The advantage with mountain roads in Europe is they're generally built with sensible gradients and have good surfaces so if you take it steady and have some easy gears then they're pretty achievable.

Something like Hardknott on the other hand takes a pretty high level of fitness to be able to get up without walking or falling off.
  • Having never ridden up an alpine mountain but driven up and down a lot I'd say its achievable.
    As above they're not "that" steep as vehicles need to navigate them in poor weather, set your gearing up correctly, spin it out and you'll find yourself at the top in no time.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,924
    edited November 2023
    Pick the right mountain. Miles at 5% is easily doable with the right gearing, 1 mile at 15% not so much unless you fit a 30/34, and even then...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Very. Bit of training and attention to gears on the bike and you'll get up anything with a bit of commitment/stubbornness.

Go for it!
  • mrb123
    https://www.sellarondabikeday.com/#:~:text=Saturday, on the 08.,be reserved to the bicyclists.

Get yourself over for this. The Sella Ronda circuit is 33 miles. You get 4 passes in that, some of the most spectacular roads you could imagine.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,118
    Shucks, thanks all, especially @mrb123 for the Italian link - tempted, seriously, but I am more inclined towards La belle France, 'cos I speak the lingo (appallingly).
    I'm torn between basing myself in the French Alps for a few days, and just bagging some cols, and doing something more structured like this: https://skedaddle.com/uk/classicroad/holiday/Road_Cycling/France_-_Pyrenees_Fitness_Week_Grade_2-3_-_Guided_Road_Cycling_Holiday/565/view.rails

• mrb123
    If you're looking at the Pyrenees, this place is worth a look...
    https://pyreneescyclinglodge.com/
    Perfectly situated for loads of stuff including Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden, Hautacam, Aubisque etc. Very friendly place run by cyclists for cyclists. Gradients can be a bit steeper than the Alps IME.

For the Alps, Barcelonette is a great base. Close to the Bonette and lots of stunning lesser known cols. Le Tour will feature the area quite a bit next year.
    https://www.tourism-alps-provence.com/cycling-ubaye-valley/
  • pblakeney
    If you want to avoid the steeper gradients then the Alps is the place to go to, in my experience. Although they can be found there too. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mrb123 said:

https://www.sellarondabikeday.com/#:~:text=Saturday, on the 08.,be reserved to the bicyclists.

Get yourself over for this. The Sella Ronda circuit is 33 miles. You get 4 passes in that, some of the most spectacular roads you could imagine.

This is a good shout. The views are just incredible, the climbs are achievable and it's a proper challenge. There's nothing too steep on that.

Right gears and right hill, you'll be fine with a bit of training.
  • pblakeney
    Gotta say that while it is absolutely stunning and highly recommended the the Pordoi is tough going at 8.79 kms long at 7.4%. Doesn't go over 10% which is a blessing though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Mirroring everyone elses thoughts: it's doable, but requires appropriate gears, a reasonable climb, and a realistic speed.

Most reknown mountains are reasonably consistent (other than, say, Finestre, or the Angliru), and if you have a rough idea of your FTP (strava estimates for 10 minute climbs will work if your weight is realistic) you can estimate a top sustainable speed.

E.g. if you want to climb Alpe d'Huez, and you can do about 3 W/kg, you'll do half the speed of the pros and it'd take about 1h 20m in a full efort. That's about 10 km/h. It's also a brutal effort, if that's your limit. On the other hand, with easy gears, you could cycle at 6-8 km/h, not suffer as much, enjoy the views, and not die at the top of the mountain.

Of course, if your level of "unfitness" is 4 W/kg (not looking at anyone...), then just aim for half the speed of the pros and you'll be able to do it all day.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    My mate who is in his 70’s rode the Col du Joux Plan in late August. He had a hip replacement in early June. So these things are possible with limited fitness as long as you have the right gearing as others have pointed out.
  • secretsam
    drhaggis said:

Mirroring everyone elses thoughts: it's doable, but requires appropriate gears, a reasonable climb, and a realistic speed.

Most reknown mountains are reasonably consistent (other than, say, Finestre, or the Angliru), and if you have a rough idea of your FTP (strava estimates for 10 minute climbs will work if your weight is realistic) you can estimate a top sustainable speed.

E.g. if you want to climb Alpe d'Huez, and you can do about 3 W/kg, you'll do half the speed of the pros and it'd take about 1h 20m in a full efort. That's about 10 km/h. It's also a brutal effort, if that's your limit. On the other hand, with easy gears, you could cycle at 6-8 km/h, not suffer as much, enjoy the views, and not die at the top of the mountain.

Of course, if your level of "unfitness" is 4 W/kg (not looking at anyone...), then just aim for half the speed of the pros and you'll be able to do it all day.

I'm more like 3kg/W at the moment!!! Realistically, 1.5W/kg is doa-ble. I am happy to take it slow; the achievement is what I'm after. And the descent...!

• I have ridden a fair few of the major mountain passes at various degrees of fitness. At 3 w/kg you will be fine. The main thing you need fitness wise is decent aerobic endurance as you will be doing anything from 90mins to 2hrs 30 of constant pedalling up towards your threshold power.

Riding a mountain is an incredible experience but it is bloomin hard for most, you will need to dig in and go through the wall mentally and physically at several points but it is certainly achievable.
  • secretsam

At 3 w/kg you will be fine.

How about at 3kg/Watt? :D

• Totally misread that :D

Yeah, you will still be fine at that!

Seriously though, I have ridden in groups with people who I have no doubt you are fitter than and they still got over some big climbs, so you will be fine.
  • I would perhaps goes alps over Pyrenees though as the length and gradients of some of the bigger stuff tends to be a bit more forgiving IME.

I wouldn't want to be doing the Tourmalet as my first mountain pass!
  • I would perhaps goes alps over Pyrenees though as the length and gradients of some of the bigger stuff tends to be a bit more forgiving IME.

Haha. I did actually do the Tourmalet as my first mountain pass!
  • I take my hat off to you SB, I did it as an experienced cyclist and it was a right git! :D

My first climb was Courchevel which was a good intro to the world of pain!
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

I would perhaps goes alps over Pyrenees though as the length and gradients of some of the bigger stuff tends to be a bit more forgiving IME.

I've got a bike ~2h drive from Tourmalet. I've never bothered doing it, because it'd take me slightly over 2h near my 1h limit... on a 36x28, so a cadence of about 60. Too hard. Must change gears to a compact plus 11-34 or so.
  • That's why it was a git DrH, I was in a 36-25 the whole way up (by choice I should add :D )
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,029
    edited November 2023
    Even before long covid, I loved the switch to an 11-34 cassette to go with the 50/34 chainset on my Cube, for the odd ~20% gradient ramps I encountered on my fairly hilly rides and/or legs running on empty.

Having put on 11Kg+ over the last ~13 months (so ~91Kg) and now struggling to do ~2.6W/Kg for 20mins instead of ~4W/Kg, on the rare outdoor ride I've had this year to the closest "proper hills" to me near Bishops Waltham, that 34/34 got a lot more use on gradients more like ~5%+.

Getting up White Way's ~430ft climb https://www.strava.com/segments/25030758 was a struggle a month ago.

Even if I started a ride from Denbigh centre, I very much doubt I could currently get up that steep ramp near Peniel on the ~1200ft Road To Hell climb https://www.strava.com/segments/30132696 I've done a few times in recent years.

Do some training, know your power/heart rate limits for given time durations and pick your mountain(s) wisely. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • That's why it was a git DrH, I was in a 36-25 the whole way up (by choice I should add :D )

I was in 36-28 and actually in hindsight I did actually have to do the Aspin first to get to it, but that was a relative doddle.

2018-07-26_10-42-43
  • Very nice Colnago SB. Looks like you had a great day for it. I rode it as part of the Raid Pyrenean, we had the Aubisque prior to the Tourmalet. There was a freak weather front came in that day, by the time we got to the top, it was 1 degree and so much fog there was almost no visibility!
  • pblakeney

Very nice Colnago SB. Looks like you had a great day for it. I rode it as part of the Raid Pyrenean, we had the Aubisque prior to the Tourmalet. There was a freak weather front came in that day, by the time we got to the top, it was 1 degree and so much fog there was almost no visibility!

I had the complete reverse. Went up the other side in 6C drizzle. Put on my winter clothing for the descent. It was 25C & sunny in St. Sauveur. I was a tad over dressed for Luz Ardiden. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:

Me too about 30 years ago. Rocked up to Huey Arbès' shop in Lourdes with a couple of mates and asked for his cheapest hire bike: a pretty awful early generation mountain bike. Chose a low gear, took our time, set a sensible pace and made it back before closing. These roads are engineered to allow coaches up them. If you can ride a reasonable distance on the flat, you'll manage the Tourmalet, albeit slowly.

Not sure if he still works the shop but Hubert's a lovely guy and he had a great poster of him riding with Fignon when they were on the Renault team together.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • secretsam
    mrb123 said:

Perfectly situated for loads of stuff including Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden, Hautacam, Aubisque etc. Very friendly place run by cyclists for cyclists. Gradients can be a bit steeper than the Alps IME.

Thanks - that looks great, but the Pyrenees look tougher than the Alps. Anything similar in the Alps? Although I might contact the Pyrenees place just in case...

• mrb123
    secretsam said:

mrb123 said:

Thanks - that looks great, but the Pyrenees look tougher than the Alps. Anything similar in the Alps? Although I might contact the Pyrenees place just in case...
    There's a good variety round there - Soulor/Aubisque isn't too steep and Luz Ardiden is pretty steady.

Tourmalet is long but from that side only really gets steep right at the top.

Hautacam is one of the hardest as there are quite a few steeper ramps.

Cauterets/Cambasque would be a good warm up - steady false flat up to the village and then the main climb is only a few km. Was a stage finish in the Tour recently.