Crack on new fork

drhaggis
drhaggis Posts: 1,150
I got a new bike on Friday, which I rode home from the shop, and then again today. While drying the bike, I noticed a ~1 inch crack in the fork:

I haven't fallen, and there is no chip in the paint, meaning it's not been hit by a pebble or something. Given it's the brake-side, I'm somewhat concerned. Couple of questions:
  • is this just poor finish, or is this a sign of something else?
  • am I being unnecessarily OCD about a new bike?
Other than that, kinda pissed with the fact that Scott put a 110 mm stem instead of a 100 mm, especially when I knew I'd probably be better off on a 90... However, here Scott will wash their hands and point at the fine print: "the spec might change without prior notice"

Comments

• Gutting, not what you want with a brand new bike.

If you are saying it is an actual crack and not just a scratch in the paint/clearcoat then I'd be taking it back to the shop to get checked.
  • Take it back to the shop ,they will be able to check it properly but really should replace it regardless as it dosnt look good
    I wouldn't ride it until its checked ,tge shape it is is worrying
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Could it be the edge of some clear protective tape?
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    It's definitely not the edge of protective tape; it's way too irregular for that.

I'll pop in tomorrow and see what they say
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,933
    That's a right censored.

Take it back, and they could just source you a replacement set of forks.

Let us know what transpires.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I used to have Scott's and found them really good re warranty. I had a CR1 back-in-the-day which developed a weird lacquer bubbling in a few places. Barely noticeable, and purely cosmetic, but they replaced the frame with no questions, and even upgraded me to what was then the first generation of Addict that had just been released.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,933
    drhaggis said:

Update:
    the LBS got in touch with Scott after seeing the fork, and it'll be replaced under warranty. The expected fork delivery time, too, is very reasonable (a week or so, rather than months)

Brilliant news B)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Great service

• Good news Dr H! I didn't want to be overly pessimistic but having seen CF crack before, that did look as though it was likely to be a crack.

Met one of the Scott reps once in my LBS and came across as a thoroughly decent bloke. I have found that when your LBS is dealing direct with the manufacturer it usually results in a very quick resolution (Specialized are particularly good IME), it is when you have to start going through third party distributors that it becomes a pain in the proverbial!