Cut in tire - repair or replace

Just bought a new set of Challenge open clinchers, around 400 miles on them. Annoyingly there is a 1/4" cut on the front tire. Starts on the top and extends down slightly into the sidewall. It has gone through some of the casing.

I have glued and put a rubber patch over to seal it.

There is still a slight bulge when tube is fully inflated. Do I keep the repair and see how it holds up or is the bulge a sign I should bin it?

Comments

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    If it's bulging, you should replace the tyre. I feel the risk of a blowout on the front tyre, potentially at speed, is not worth, what, £40? I know it sucks to replace what's essentially new rubber, but that's life.
  • Cheers, yes I might have to just take the hit and replace it. I've got a couple of used tires with a bit of wear left. I can stick one of those on whilst I get a new tire ordered.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,933
    It's annoying for sure, I've had it happen twice, on one occasion it was a brand new set of wheels, with the new factory tyres it came with, massive slash in the side, some 40km in >:)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I had a similar situation with a nearly brand new Michelin Pro SC. Sturdy patch but still a slight bulge when inflated. It's now on the rear of the summer bike and I keep an eye on it. No sign of the mild hernia getting bigger. Worst case I figure a rear blowout won't be as unsettling as the original sudden deflation when it was on the front and I was going downhill :o

(being a pessimistic Yorkshireman I have chucked a spare tyre in the saddlebag...)
  • Being from Yorkshire, it pains me to bin functional rubber for anything as trivial as a cut, but I'd echo the sentiments above - safety first, so bin it if it's bulging. I rationalise this financially by thinking in terms of the cost of buying decent food and/or spousal car parking if in hospital for a few days, which is more than even a premium tyre!

That said, I've ridden hundreds of km with slightly dodgy looking tyres on the rear wheel on the assumption that a rear blowout will be manageable. (I had a flat on the rear descending the Tourmalet in my novice days, which was more annoying than scary, so I may be foolishly blase about the risks.) But I only do this on rides relatively close to home where bailout options are available. (And I've not had a flat in such circumstances.)
  • It has gone through some of the casing” , “There is still a slight bulge

That’s two reasons to replace it.
    As said above, it’s a pain replacing essentially new rubber but is it worth the risk? It’s not going to get any better with time only worse.
    Bite the bullet and stay safe IMHO
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,266
    ^^^this

especially if the carcass is cotton, if water gets in it'll degrade and fail

for small cuts in cotton tubulars i usually squish some stormsure into the cut, it creates a really good seal and remains flexible
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Cheers all, I have taken the forum consensus and got a new one on order. Stuck an old rubino with a bit of life left in it on there for the time being.

Agree, piece of mind is worth £30, even if it is a PITA!