Removing factory grease from new chain

For a new Shimano chain, which has not been fitted, what is the best way of degreasing it?

I use 50:50 diluted No Nonsense degreaser for maintenance degreasing.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,460
    White Spirit in a large jar. Soak and Shake. Soak and Shake. Repeat.

Why? You applying Squirt or similar wax?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• White Spirit in a large jar. Soak and Shake. Soak and Shake. Repeat.

Why? You applying Squirt or similar wax?

Can the said No Nonsense diluted degreaser be used rather than white spirit?

Yes, Squirt e-bike chain wax https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083V6R9QQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
  • photonic69
    Yeah, I've used the Screwfix NN stuff to good effect. It's amazing on all things. I'm more surprised it doesn't dissolve my skin the way it works!

I only had an issue with NN when using a solvent based chain wax. Squirt and similar are waterbased so should be fine. I always add one extra application at first to ensure it really gets into the chain. The reason I used white spirit when using solvent based waxes is that it is difficult to drive the water out of the rollers so the wax can really get in.

• Yeah, I've used the Screwfix NN stuff to good effect. It's amazing on all things. I'm more surprised it doesn't dissolve my skin the way it works!

I only had an issue with NN when using a solvent based chain wax. Squirt and similar are waterbased so should be fine. I always add one extra application at first to ensure it really gets into the chain. The reason I used white spirit when using solvent based waxes is that it is difficult to drive the water out of the rollers so the wax can really get in.

Is 50:50 NN suitable to use and can you suggest the method? Thank you
  • photonic69
    Yeah more than enough. I use an old ice cream tub. Put the chain in and just cover with NN. Then pour over boiling water about 2:1 and agitate now and then for 20 mins then rinse and dry.

• then rinse and dry.

Thank you. Is rinsing with palin water or soapy (washing up liquid) water better? And is air drying okay or do you use a moisture dispersant such as GT85?
  • photonic69
    I'd just air dry it for a few hours. As the water is in the rollers you'll never dry it unless you bake it in the oven! As Squirt is a water based emulsion just put the chain back on the bike and give it a liberal application of Squirt at least one mroe time than recommended then follow instructions and you'll be good to go.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I might be speaking out of turn but I have always found that the grease chains come with is way better than Squirt. It might be just for packaging or something but your chain stays cleaner and less noisy for longer than when your using the like of Squirt.
  • Carnmore said:

then rinse and dry.

Thank you. Is rinsing with palin water or soapy (washing up liquid) water better? And is air drying okay or do you use a moisture dispersant such as GT85?
    is air drying okay

NO, it won’t work in the short time span you have in mind.

As P69 indicates you need to HEAT the chain to evaporate the moisture and only when your certain it’s been removed can you think of adding another lubricant.

Which again needs to be heated (usually) to penetrate the tiny gaps available in a chain linkage system

Then you have to be certain you can get your lubricant inside the chains rollers otherwise you’re wasting your time
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,896
    Oh for the days of dropping a little 3in1 on the chain. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Factory chain grease is sh*t. It really is. It’s only there to stop the metal rusting, but ‘legends of the road/forums’ were convinced it was the best thing ever, so they passed their superior knowledge to the next bunch of mugs, and repeat.

The best thing you can do is get the factory cr@p off before you fit the chain, then use a quality thin lube (covers all seasons) or hot wax for your ‘dry’ bike.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,680
    Dishwasher?
  • Update: New Shimano cassette and chain fitted (factory grease removed with white spirit bath followed by IPA bath then left to dry overnight).
    Rear mech and chain ring thoroughly cleaned.
    Squirt E-Bike wax applied (2 coats, 5 minutes between each).
    Bike indoors allowing wax to dry.

Is 20 hours chain wax drying time sufficient before riding?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485

Dishwasher?

Are you single?😉
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Carnmore said:

Update: New Shimano cassette and chain fitted (factory grease removed with white spirit bath followed by IPA bath then left to dry overnight).
    Rear mech and chain ring thoroughly cleaned.
    Squirt E-Bike wax applied (2 coats, 5 minutes between each).
    Bike indoors allowing wax to dry.

Is 20 hours chain wax drying time sufficient before riding?

Well according to the squirt blurb it has the same properties as the other squirt lube but is designed to stand the the high pressures of an E bike. My experience of squirt lube would suggest it won’t matter because it will be black and gungy in a couple rides. I would avoid going out in the wet.🤣🤣🤣
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I leave the factory grease on until it gets too mucky then clean it off.
    I use a Park chain cleaner with Halfords citric degreaser.
    I then use GT85 - quick squirt at the end of a ride and clean occasionally if it gets too mucky.
    This is the winter bike and I get about 2000 miles from a chain.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401
    edited November 2023
    I lost a quick-link on Saturday when installing a new chain. Muchly annoyed as I had no spare. Bad planning in terms of location to work. No idea where the half went when the end of the chain slipped in my hand :(