Replacement Shimano cranks following faults found during inspection

Has anyone received their replacement Shimano cranks following a failed inspection yet?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I haven’t heard of anyone’s chainset failing an inspection. When I took mine in to be checked and I mentioned a click. The shop said that is something they had been advised to look out for, so they have sent if off to Madison for further inspection.
    So any chainset that looks iffy goes off for further checks.
    They also said taking the chainset which is off my summer bike in now, was probably a wise idea as I might not get an answer till spring.
  • I had 4 affected cranksets checked. One DA9100 was returned by the mechanic as it was clicking, but who knows if it was actually the crank.
    This was beginning of October, so far, tumbleweed from Madison / Shimano.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    The Mapdec video suggested they were sending most of them back. They were being extremely thorough and finding what seemed to be some pretty tiny areas of concern.
  • Ones I've done it's Been 50/50 .
    The first sets haven't arrived yet from the beginning so that's almost 5 weeks in .
    And I've just had a note saying reimbursement for inspections which is a credit to your account are running 4 weeks behind already too .
    All in all its a mess and seems to be getting worse
  • I took my bike in to my LBS and it "failed" the inspection that I was partially expecting from my inspection. I currently now have my summer bike off the road so whilst its annoying its not a disaster, although as people have said - the whole process and Shimano's response has been a textbook example of how to annoy loyal customers. I had a failure of another Ultegra crank 1 year ago and unfortunately binned the crank and replaced it with 105. I have photos of the failed unit showing its one of the offending batch numbers but I know what the answer will be...
  • webboo
    I received a call from the shop today. Madison had been on asking for them to send my chain rings in. They pointed out that they Madison had told them to remove the chain rings before they sent any chain sets to them. They then asked could they get me to drop them in to the shop so they could be sent to them.
    The shop pointed out I didn’t live or the doorstep( I live about 20 miles away) so it wouldn’t be that easy. Madison then asked what size the rings were.
    The shops believes they are replacing the chain set, whether this is the case time will tell.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    Car recalls are more efficient that this and the numbers are very much bigger. Shame on Shimano.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• webboo

Car recalls are more efficient that this and the numbers are very much bigger. Shame on Shimano.

Clearly as bike riders we are second class to car drivers. I wonder if there had been a problem with fishing reels were there was a danger of a trapped finger. How soon there would have been a recall.🤣🤣🤣🙂🙂🙂🙂
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 470
    edited November 2023
    webboo said:

I received a call from the shop today. Madison had been on asking for them to send my chain rings in. They pointed out that they Madison had told them to remove the chain rings before they sent any chain sets to them. They then asked could they get me to drop them in to the shop so they could be sent to them.
    The shop pointed out I didn’t live or the doorstep( I live about 20 miles away) so it wouldn’t be that easy. Madison then asked what size the rings were.
    The shops believes they are replacing the chain set, whether this is the case time will tell.

I would say the shop is at fault here .Looks like they haven't picked up the info properly .The advice on day 1 was take the chainrings off to inspect them and put them back on to send back on failed ones for a full chainset replacement .
    With it being modified 12 speed chain sets that will be why chainrings are likly no use
  • webboo
    edited November 2023
    They had previously sent a chain set back minus the rings and this was not queried.
    With mine they didn’t really inspect it due to my reporting it clicked as this was indication is should be sent to them for inspection.
  • jason23
    jason23 Posts: 71
    edited November 2023
    Y
  • Mine has now been away for 7 weeks. A bit annoying it’s been so long because my Canyon also has a warranty issue so I’m left either a TT or mountain bike for work.
  • Still not received a single crank to replace any I've sent since 5th October.
  • buy a cheap crankset to provisionally replace… Tiagra or something
    left the forum March 2023
  • webboo

Still not received a single crank to replace any I've sent since 5th October.

Are you getting any updates on what they doing.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697

buy a cheap crankset to provisionally replace… Tiagra or something

Do you have shares in Shimano or something?
  • buy a cheap crankset to provisionally replace… Tiagra or something

If you need the replacement, then you could do worse than spending a few quid for a temporary one… if you don’t need it and can wait, then wait…

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697

buy a cheap crankset to provisionally replace… Tiagra or something

If you need the replacement, then you could do worse than spending a few quid for a temporary one… if you don’t need it and can wait, then wait…

I did, and it was permanent. But I didn't buy from the same company that put me in a pickle in the first place.
  • you can replace Shimano chainset with Sram GXP and a BB shim… everything else seems to be 30 mm these days, so you then need a new BB as well
  • I think this says LP at the beginning - am I looking at the right thing? Hope so as this 'process' sounds like a compete clusterfeck.

• NA
  • Oh bugger :D
  • webboo said:

Still not received a single crank to replace any I've sent since 5th October.

Are you getting any updates on what they doing.
    Nothing at all ,only update I've got was that the credits to my account for inspections were running 4 weeks behind

• trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 470
    edited November 2023

I think this says LP at the beginning - am I looking at the right thing? Hope so as this 'process' sounds like a compete clusterfeck.

Your crank needs inspected
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    This is annoying me because I was planning to get my summer bike in for inspection before Christmas but need it for a trip in February so not sure now if I want to risk it.
  • I would just inspect it myself between now and the February trip. There are a few videos on Youtube giving some guidance on what to look for.
  • laguna
    laguna Posts: 24
    Just had a call from my LBS telling me my replacement crankset has arrived with them, so obviously Shimano are starting to get supplies to Madison.
  • Anyone know if you have to bring a crankset on a bike, or can you just bring the crankset?
  • Ok mine passed the inspection - and the shop said they've not seen a single one fail (i realise others here have). Pretty disappointed - was hoping for a shiny new chainset!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

Ok mine passed the inspection - and the shop said they've not seen a single one fail (i realise others here have). Pretty disappointed - was hoping for a shiny new chainset!

you need to change your username :D

STILL not looked at the relevant numbers on either of mine :(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18