Genesis croix de fer headset

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,588
Looking for some confirmation on what headset this bike needs, as it's getting a bit crunchy recently (had it for about 9 years)

It's the 2014 model, here https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/cyclocross-bikes/genesis-croix-de-fer-review/

This blog says it's standard 1 1/8" threadless
https://smutpedaller.blogspot.com/2014/07/genesis-croix-de-fer-frameset-2014.html?m=1

Is any 1 1/8" going to fit? e.g. https://www.merlincycles.com/fsa-orbit-equipe-11-8-headset-108110.html
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    It should work OK as long as you replace the bearing cups too and not just the bearings, also the fork crown race. Also consider that the height of the new cups may be different to that the existing ones so you may need to play with the spacers below the stem to get the same stack measurement as previously, particularly important to pay attention to the height if your fork steerer is cut right down. If you just intend to replace just the bearings then you need to make sure the bearing height, internal and external chamfer match the existing bearings so they sit correctly against the cups and crown race and everything sits flush without play.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,588
    Thanks. Yeah I would replace the lot, the one on there now is nothing special.

Several spacers on that bike so no height worries.

Are the angles on different cups standard then?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Yes, any 1 and 1/8 threadless will fit
    left the forum March 2023
  • i.bhamra
    edited November 2023
    The cups press in and butt up flush against the the flat ends of the head tube so no angular dependence to consider.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Do you need a press or any other specific tools to install one of these?

I have a CdF of the same generation that may need a new headset at some point soon.
  • i.bhamra
    The old cups can be removed with a hammer and drift ( a large screwdriver works just fine but you'll probably damage the cups you remove), you would ideally use a press to fit the new ones (can make one with threaded tube, nuts and washers for a few quid) but if you are careful to keep everything straight a hammer and a block of wood will do the job. Bearings should just drop in.

There are also specific tools to remove and fit the crown race if you need to do that but lots of DIY methods using a blade or thin flat screwdriver to wedge between the race and fork crown and gentle prize it away. To fit the new one a bit of plastic plumbing pipe longer than the fork steerer and wider in ID than the steerer but not wider than the race (so it fits over the tube and contacts the race) then tap home with a hammer or turn upside down and tap against the floor.

I've used all the DIY methods in the past and they are fine if you are careful but it's simpler if you have the right tools. You could of course get a shop to do it, shouldn't cost much or take more than half an hour in total.