Tyre size?

Just bought a new bike to do some more touring and it came with 40mm tyres. I'd like to replace these with some Schwalbe Marathons in a smaller size to gain a bit more puncture proofing and possibly a little less rolling resistance. However, I can't decide whether I should choose 32mm or 35mm.
Can anyone advise please?

Comments

• You might get a deal buying a pair that are the same size, but there's no reason you couldn't run something wider on the rear for comfort and narrower at the front for less aero drag.

I used 23/32mm GP5000s, then switched the front to a 25mm after a sidewall split.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Agree with NOTG above

I also use a narrower front than rear.
    Size depends on type of touring you have in mind, light (eg essentials only) or heavy (eg bikepacking) and distribution of load
  • PhilKee
    PhilKee Posts: 1

We have tired extensively since 2009 on our Hewitts and use Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in 35mm front and back. They are great tyres and provide the optimum compromise for road and unpaved surfaces.

• froze
    froze Posts: 203

The Marathons do not have less rolling resistance, if you want less rolling resistance then you need to go with the Schwalbe Almotion Raceguard version tire. I would not go smaller than a 32, but a 38 would be idea, it's what I use. For a 32 on a loaded touring bike, you're going to have to run higher psi in the neighborhood of 75f to 80r psi if your total weight is around 260 pounds, if you use a 38 instead now you can reduce your riding pressure between 57f and 62r, this will give you a more comfortable ride which when you are touring you will come to appreciate that as the days roll on. The Almotion tire is a lighter weight tire than the Marathon as well which helps when pedaling for long periods up a grade.

You didn't say which Marathon tire you were looking at, but the Almotion tire has a very high flat resistance rating, one or two of the Marathons have a slightly better rating, and one or two have the same. But if flats are a huge concern, then do what I did, I got a pair of Clear Motion Rinodillos, these are superior to penetration vs any other liner including the Mr. Tuffy, but they are lighter than the Mr. Tuffy, plus they have a soft edge that goes against the tube to prevent chaffing the tube and cause a flat like other liners will do over time. The Marathon Plus Tour flatless version's rolling resistance drops off quite a bit and the weight is almost double which is significant.

I have ridden over miles of broken glass and who knows what else, and never had a flat, there isn't even a cut on those Almotion tires, so they are pretty ruggedly built. I have about 2,800 miles on them and they still look brand new. From what I heard from others who have used these tires they claimed they got an average of 8,000 miles on them. They have great traction on dry or wet pavement, and they have a reflective sidewall strip that is highly reflective, quite a bit more so than the reflective tape I put on my fenders.

I used to have a pair of Marathon GreenGuards, they felt wooden and sluggish compared to the Almotion.