La lalalalala la! Thibaut Pinot!

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,397
    You do understand why they loved Poulidor too...

(Plus, in the best way, why the crowds at the rugby have been so fantastic at creating an atmosphere by cheering on the underdogs...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    edited October 2023
    ddraver said:

)

Peanut actually won stuff though.

His weakness was beauty queens. Not focussed enough on the bike. Now he can go off and live with his goats.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,130
    davidof said:

ddraver said:

)

His weakness was beauty queens. Not focussed enough on the bike. Now he can go off and live with his goats.

Poulidor won 70 races as a pro, Pinot just 33.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    Never is the history of cycling have so many cheered so much for so little
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

Dunno, Virenque only won 21.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,397
    Tim Henmen dit quoi..?

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911

RichN95. said:

Dunno, Virenque only won 21.
    7 of those were in the Tour though, which is a pretty good return for a non-sprinter. Both Contador and Andy Schleck only won 3 stages, for instance.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    I think it's very unfair to suggest the French only cheer him because he lost. Maybe that's part of it, but it's also the way he lost.

But seriously Pinot did provide a fair degree of entertainment and at least the illusion that as a rider he harked back to a golden age when they raced on feel and instinct.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Agree, he lost with panache at a time when winners were catching the train (not Maurice Guerin style).

Now people are winning with panache which probably makes losing a la Pinot a harder sell.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,940
    He should of won the tour in 2019
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    edited October 2023

A bit of a stretch considering he was 5th on GC when he got injured
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 718

In 2019, Pinot was reported as saying
    The Frenchman who wins the Tour will be a star. Do I want to be a star? No.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 718
    Last week a book came out in France with the title „Perdants magnifiques: l'art de s'incliner avec panache en dix portraits“ (Magnificent Losers: the art of bowing out with panache in ten portraits). It pays homage to heroic losers, among them, Thibaut Pinot.
    The author says he started the book in 2019 after Pinot dropped out of the Tour. As a Pinot fan, that saddened him but also inspired him to write the book.

The book also covers Ocana and Poulidor (of whom the author says the latter was first to understand the benefit of adopting a good-natured fatalism in the face of blows of fate), as well as covering some non-cyclists, e.g. Zola Budd, tennis-player Vitas Gerulaitis and footballer Socrates.

The author writes that it's much easier to identify with losers rather than victors because among losers, we can project our own emotions. However he distinguishes between those who deserved victory but were prevented by an unforeseen event, i.e. the unlucky ones (Poulidor, Ocana), and those who were always faced with cold, calculating champions as their opposition.
    These, often 'old-school' because relying on (as DeVlaeminck above also states wrt Pinot) feel and instinct, not-wanting to be human machines, to be free (Pinot was never happy being a team leader because it meant lost freedom) consequently had in recent decades little realistic chance of victory. The author calls them 'romantic losers' and he places Pinot in this group.

The author concludes Pinot would not have been happy if, in the end, he had won the Tour de France, that it would have been unbearable for him as not fitting his character, and therefore it was probably a form of relief for him never to have won it.
  • andyp
    RichN95. said:

He was 20 seconds behind Bernal, who was 2nd on GC. He was clearly the strongest climber in the race in the Pyrenees, winning on the Tourmalet and finishing second, behind non-GC threat Simon Yates, in Foix.

I don't know if he'd have won or not, but he was very definitely in contention.
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

RichN95. said:

He was 20 seconds behind Bernal, who was 2nd on GC. He was clearly the strongest climber in the race in the Pyrenees, winning on the Tourmalet and finishing second, behind non-GC threat Simon Yates, in Foix.

He should of won
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • davidof
    andyp said:

davidof said:

ddraver said:

)

Yes but I'm not talking his school crit.
    Instagramme
  • andyp said:

RichN95. said:

It's a strange one to look back on. Unbelievably the French had genuine skin in the game for 2 and a half weeks.
  • andyp
    davidof said:

andyp said:

davidof said:

ddraver said:

)

He won seven Tour stages, the Vuelta, and four stages, Milan-San Remo, Paris-Nice twice, the Dauphine twice, Fleche Wallone - that's a serious palmares.
  • davidof
    andyp said:

davidof said:

andyp said:

davidof said:

ddraver said:

)

He won seven Tour stages, the Vuelta, and four stages, Milan-San Remo, Paris-Nice twice, the Dauphine twice, Fleche Wallone - that's a serious palmares.
    ah that's excellent, respect
    Instagramme
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    It's "should have", not "should of".

I don't think he should have either :smile:
  • mididoctors

It's "should have", not "should of".

I don't think he should have either :smile:

Where's the ambiguity? ... In a box by the door