TV aerial?

I’ve just moved into a new build house.
I appear to have reasonable 80 Mbps broadband (full fibre not available yet) and iplayer works fine through a wired connection. There won’t be competition from other streaming , video conferencing or gaming at the same time.

Is there any reason i need to bother getting an aerial installed?
Only reasons i can see are for channel hopping, or recording on the pvr. The latter definitely a plus for anything on ITV or C4.

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Not had a proper tv aerial for about 15 years. Never had any issues.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I got cable and I do like to be able to ffwd through the adverts rather than watching on all4 or itv+

Other than that I could do without.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Just had the email that Community Fibre is going live on our road so we're ditching Virgin. The wife still wants to be able to watch normal telly so might have to see if the aerial still works. Are there other options for normal telly that aren't subscription based? Freeview through the internet?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    My aerial went faulty after high winds a few years ago and I couldn't be bothered to pay someone to sort it out. The only issue is live sport that can sometimes be up to two full minutes behind and that is down to the iplayer or similar regardless of the speed of your broadband. That in itself isn't a massive problem except during a football tournament I know England have scored well before I see it as I can hear the cheering in the neighbourhood.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972

Just had the email that Community Fibre is going live on our road so we're ditching Virgin. The wife still wants to be able to watch normal telly so might have to see if the aerial still works. Are there other options for normal telly that aren't subscription based? Freeview through the internet?

I just conducted a test and everything worked as I suspected.
    Internet required for streaming and aerial required for Freeview.

Apparently there is a limited Freeview available online. Not worth bothering with imo.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    Get a Freesat dish and receiver. Some tvs have this but in. There are quite a number of channels that are not online. It's free once installed.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    seanoconn said:

Not had a proper tv aerial for about 15 years. Never had any issues.

Same. Had to do some playing around originally to use our Sky box but with Sky Q and Smart TV / Fire TV stick we now manage fine. Sky Q does the live TV stuff though, I find live a bit annoying on Smart TVs, not sure if there is one single app that allows you to access them all.
  • Pross

My aerial went faulty after high winds a few years ago and I couldn't be bothered to pay someone to sort it out. The only issue is live sport that can sometimes be up to two full minutes behind and that is down to the iplayer or similar regardless of the speed of your broadband. That in itself isn't a massive problem except during a football tournament I know England have scored well before I see it as I can hear the cheering in the neighbourhood.

At least that is a highly infrequent event.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Thanks all, you have saved me a couple of hundred quid.
    Apart from the occasional national sporting event ;that i will still be able to catch) i very seldom switch on to watch live TV.
    Being a bit more difficult to watch things on apps means I won’t end up hopping onto some obscure late-night film or biopic that I don’t need to see.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    The only pita with relying on apps for live tv is there’s a slight delay, maybe 30 seconds. When you’re watching a major sporting event and you can hear cheering outside before you see a goal or in my case, my Father in law in Poland texts me to say England have scored while I’m watching a delayed screen, can be annoying.

Does everyone have a delay with apps?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    seanoconn said:

The only pita with relying on apps for live tv is there’s a slight delay, maybe 30 seconds. When you’re watching a major sporting event and you can hear cheering outside before you see a goal or in my case, my Father in law in Poland texts me to say England have scored while I’m watching a delayed screen, can be annoying.

Does everyone have a delay with apps?

It got mentioned above as well, I'm lucky enough to not have any friends and live next door to an old woman so have never noticed.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    My Scottish heritage means this would not really be a problem, even if I didn't live in England.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    FWIW Sky offer a TV broadband service which I use.

Isn't flawless but does the job and is relatively cheap.