Best group set for 2015 TCR ADVANCED RABO

Hii all, i have been out of the game for a while, and i am a bit confused about all that disk brake and hydraulic stuff. Have had my last bike frame in storage for 8 years now, and i want to fix her up and hit the roads on occasion. I am looking for suggestions for the best sub $1000 rim brake group set to fit a 2013-2015 Giant TCR ADVANCED RABO. The original build was all Shimano Durance.
At best i will be riding 3 times a month, so i don't mind one of those new Chinese brands as long as it is of resemble build quality.

Comments

• For 1k you can probably get 12 speed ultegra. Maybe even Dura ace 9100.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    What is wrong with the original groupset?
    What are you hoping to gain?
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    I'm still running a Campagnolo Record 10 speed groupset from 2005. Your 10 year or so old Dura Ace should be more than good enough for 2-3 rides a month, certainly better than a cheap chinese groupset.
  • paulbnix said:

What is wrong with the original groupset?
    What are you hoping to gain?

I donated the parts to young bikers in need a while back, not looking to gain anything except my old glory days on the road. :-)
  • i.bhamra said:

I'm still running a Campagnolo Record 10 speed groupset from 2005. Your 10 year or so old Dura Ace should be more than good enough for 2-3 rides a month, certainly better than a cheap chinese groupset.

Yes i have been looking at some Durance deals :-)
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697
    i.bhamra said:

Some of the cheap Chinese groupsets are pretty good these days aren't they?

If it were me (and it basically is, since I have a couple of similar bikes) I would get any 11sp groupset. That way you will be able to use rim brake wheels compatible with any 11sp shifting - campag, Shimano, whatever, because the spacing is the same. It deviates again at 12 speed.

For the next few years the best rim brake wheelsets will be on eBay and 11sp maximizes choice.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    edited October 2023

Some of the cheap Chinese groupsets are pretty good these days aren't they?

If it were me (and it basically is, since I have a couple of similar bikes) I would get any 11sp groupset. That way you will be able to use rim brake wheels compatible with any 11sp shifting - campag, Shimano, whatever, because the spacing is the same. It deviates again at 12 speed.

For the next few years the best rim brake wheelsets will be on eBay and 11sp maximizes choice.

I don't have personal experience but yes, they are probably fit for purpose based on reviews I've seen. I'd assumed the OP still had a older Dura-Ace kit on his bike and in that case probably no need to replace with something newer from one of the Chinese companies.

I'd probably be looking at something second hand in 10/11 speed as you suggest, 2nd hand rim brake kit is relatively cheap with everyone wanting the latest, greatest electronic, 12 speed, hydro discs etc...