3 Peaks CX

Mad_Malx
Mad_Malx Posts: 5,012
edited September 2023 in Cyclocross
I’ve just spent a very damp afternoon on Pen-y-Ghent watching this.
Hats off to the competitors, looked very tough & slippy. Special shout outs to those beginning the last climb after the leaders were home and dry, the guy who climbed and descended with no saddle, and the guy with who ran up and down carrying a bike with a tacoed wheel.

Really a gravel race rather than cx. Would really recommend to those who are that way inclined.

Few pictures route & random riders

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I can remember riding it, the first time on a Carlton ProAm road bike with something like 23mm knobbly tyres. Later rides were on proper cross bikes.
    I think one of my old team mates rode it about 20 plus times.
  • Mad_Malx
    webboo said:

I can remember riding it, the first time on a Carlton ProAm road bike with something like 23mm knobbly tyres. Later rides were on proper cross bikes.
    I think one of my old team mates rode it about 20 plus times.

Respect! I’m pretty wibbly on that terrain even on a disc hardtail
  • Do they still mandate a max tyre size of 33c? It really was ahead of its time with the whole 'gravel' thing I've been wondering what they are going to do now that gravel is a thing.

I did it in 2018 and it was great fun but hard work! It's more of a fell race with some cycling in between until you get off Whernside though.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    One year I and the group I was following did several laps of the summit Ingleborough lost in the mist.
    I think the 33mm is a UCI thing for cross races. The 3 peaks brought in a no flat bars or Mountainbikes because the land owners on parts of the course said they would refuse permission for race if Mountainbikes were allowed. This was when they started getting popular and people were just riding where ever they liked and p!ssing the farmers off.
  • Ah, sorry, it was 35c max when I did it, not 33
  • Mad_Malx
    Was 35mm max, drop bars and no suspension allowed.