2nd hand Frame decision

I’m contemplating a new to me bike.
I’ve had my current one for about 18 years , still goes great , 7.3kg, 9 speed DA, it just keeps working.

Anyway, I’m now looking at an N+ 1 but undecided whether to buy a frame and build it up from new / second hand parts or buy a second hand bike.
If I buy a frame , are they specifically made for either mechanical or wired shifters , ie do wired group set bikes have cable stops for mechanical shifters or is it a case of sort of bodging it ?
I’ll probably go for a disc frame to not limit my choices of wheels in future years.

FWIW budget is about 3k.

Comments

• You might be able to run cables internally to a wired frame. A lot are adapted for Di2 or cables. That is more likely than not for a frame even a couple of years old.
  • With regards the cables it all depends on what groupset you are running as well as the frame. For example, the newer mechanical Shimano front mechs have their own cable stop so you don't need a frame stop whereas older Shimano front mechs and all Campag front mechs don't have this which can limit your choice on internally routed frames.

Also, some frames are made for electronic shifting only and won't accommodate mechanical shifting.

There are a lot of frames that are suitable for mechanical and electronic as they have cable ports that can be switched out. Mason do this on all their frames as do others. Shameless plug for my Mason Definition that is currently for sale in another thread.
  • It varies frame to frame. My old CR1 is externally cabled mechanical only; probably why they were sold off cheap. I'm guessing if you go for a disc frame it will be newer and likely take mechanical or electronic. Occasionally you'll see a frame that's only suitable for electronic, and increasingly seeing those intended solely for a single chainring. So double check before buying...
  • sub2
    sub2 Posts: 22
    Thanks for the replies.
    I didn’t realise single chainrings were becoming a thing on road bikes !
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    sub2 said:

Thanks for the replies.
    I didn’t realise single chainrings were becoming a thing on road bikes !

They aren't

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I've been looking at a lot of gravel bikes recently and 1X is definitely predominating there.
    But a few manufacturers have dabbled with it on road bikes.

The 3T Strada was a 1x frameset when it was launched (but they later also released a double which maybe tells you something)
    Kinesis have the R1 which they say "is a 1x road bike aimed at riders of all abilities and experiences"
    Vielo -whoever they are- have gone all-in:
    "We’ve seen the future, and it’s 1x pure and simple. That’s proven by the growing interest in road bikes with wide ratio, 12 and 13 speed drivetrains and single chainrings"

For the record, my personal preference is for a triple chainset on a road bike...

• sub2
    sub2 Posts: 22
    I seem to be right in the middle of a few manufacturers’ frame sizes , between small and medium. I’m 170cm.
    Would I be right in thinking that I’d be better with the smaller frame all else being equal ?
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668
    Unless you have unusual proportions, that is the common advice; it's a lot easier to make a small frame bigger with a longer stem and a couple of spacers, setback seatpost etc.

FWIW I'm 168cm and generally go for small / 51 or 52cm framed road bikes. Medium / 54 feel too stretched out for me unless the top tube is unusually short. But I do have longer legs / short torso.