Computer mounts

I currently have a iGPSPORT cycle computer, nothing fancy but I don't need fancy, it does what I need. It is one of those quarter turn type computers that affix to the mount on the bars.

And the mount has the rubber type rings which wrap round the bars and "hook on" to the mount to keep it in place. This type of mount has been perfect for me, with the rounder type bars that my bikes have had.

But my new bike has the non round aero bars and I think it's time I changed the mounting system as I can't see my previous mounting working on the flatter aero bars.

My question is....

I've noticed there is a front mounting system that fits onto the front centre of the bars by using two of the front four bolts that hold the bars in place. Are the two bolts that come with this sort of mount universal, or when you order the mount are you given a choice of bolt sizes depending on the size of your bar bolts?

Also, is the quarter turn system universal between all quarter turn computers? If not, do the mounts come with "adaptors" so you can choose which one fits your particular computer?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    edited September 2023
    bonk_king said:

I currently have a iGPSPORT cycle computer, nothing fancy but I don't need fancy, it does what I need. It is one of those quarter turn type computers that affix to the mount on the bars.

And the mount has the rubber type rings which wrap round the bars and "hook on" to the mount to keep it in place. This type of mount has been perfect for me, with the rounder type bars that my bikes have had.

But my new bike has the non round aero bars and I think it's time I changed the mounting system as I can't see my previous mounting working on the flatter aero bars.

My question is....

I've noticed there is a front mounting system that fits onto the front centre of the bars by using two of the front four bolts that hold the bars in place. Are the two bolts that come with this sort of mount universal, or when you order the mount are you given a choice of bolt sizes depending on the size of your bar bolts?

Also, is the quarter turn system universal between all quarter turn computers? If not, do the mounts come with "adaptors" so you can choose which one fits your particular computer?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Most stem bolts are standard allen key bolts (M5 or M6 usually I think?). The length might differ slightly between designs.

Is the stem still a separate piece to the bars on your bike or is it all one thing?

Usually if they are separate the aero section of the bars returns to being round in the centre so the stem can clamp on, and usually this round section is wide enough for a garmin mount to clamp onto as well.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • That's a good point, and I've just checked, and you are right. Where the bars are bolted onto the stem they are round, and the roundness carries on for a few millimetres either side of centre before they gradually flatten out.

So it looks like I could have one of the narrow type bar mounted systems after all, which is what I prefer. Unfortunately the mount I currently have is too wide, I suspect I'd have fun and games with securing the rubber rings, in fact it'd be nigh on impossible!

I've seen those Garmin type quarter turn mounts, but would it fit my current quarter turn computer?
  • pangolin
    edited September 2023
    Would this work? I thought this was what you had but reading it again it sounds like your current one is wider

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iGPSPORT-Computer-Cycling-Out-Front-Compatible/dp/B0BBLQ53D4?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • When I was looking at iGPSport bike computers earlier this year before grabbing a Lezyne Super Pro from chainreaction for £27 (missed the Mega XLs selling for ~£36), I thought I read they are Garmin mount compatible.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pangolin
    Certainly looks like a garmin mount
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Bingo, that's the one!

And it's an actual iGPSPORT one too! I mistakenly thought my computer only had the rubber band mounting option, it turns out it also has the front mounting option too!

Brilliant, thanks for your help.