Connecting Wahoo to Garmin AND Apple TV

I currently connect simultaneously to my Garmin and Apple TV (for Zwift / Other). I find it's the only way to get the full first beat analysis. (Yup, load data comes if you sync to Connect through Zwift, but I want the other stuff too)

I'm using an Elite Direto trainer for this and it works well. I was about to purchase a wahoo bike and asked wahoo if this was possible. They recommended against.

Any work around for this? I can't see anything obvious, but thought I'd ask our wise community....

I'm considering just keeping my Elite....

M

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156
    edited September 2023
    It certainly works with a Tacx.
    But they are the same company so that’s to be expected and probably doesn’t help.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I think I might be exploring the Tacx route. I'm "all in" with garmin devices and the first bea analysis works for me - I dont want to risk forking out 3k on a wahoo bike, and then not get the support I need.

PB - Do you use there training app to sync data / or do you connect your watch / bike computer to the trainer as well as Zwift simultaneously? I'm guessing connecting a Edge is almost encouraged by them...

M
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Honestly not sure why Wahoo would tell you its an issue. Apple TV is Bluetooth only (I believe) so just connect the bike to your Garmin via ANT+ and you should be golden.

Would be worth trying to get Wahoo to qualify their reasons as to why it would be a problem.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156
    edited September 2023
    Mike_Mac said:

PB - Do you use there training app to sync data / or do you connect your watch / bike computer to the trainer as well as Zwift simultaneously? I'm guessing connecting a Edge is almost encouraged by them...

M

First up, I believe Jim is right and you could go down that road.

I primarily use a cycling app and sync to Strava.
    I only use my Garmin when I want to see extra power data that is not shown on screen. It all connects seamlessly as you'd expect. I don't know how, or care.
    I don't upload to Garmin connect from my Garmin though as I'd end up with double rides and only use the Garmin for "live" data.
    You could go the opposite route and upload from the Garmin instead of trainer but then you'd lose speed and climbing data, or get very dodgy data! This is probably the reason why Wahoo recommended against it.

My recommendation would be to buy the trainer you prefer and use it as I do.
    Upload ride data from the trainer, and extra power data from the Garmin if desired.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 114
    I've no idea why you need to do this. I'm sure you can upload to Garmin connect via zwift, the same way you do to Strava.

I use Apple TV, with kickr core and wahoo tickr for HR. I used the wahoo bolt the other day to compare the power numbers from a 4iiii crank against the kickr.

I see no reason why the kickr bike would not work. I used a Garmin HR before I bought Apple TV. Needed BT for it. Wahoo will advise you best. Their customer service is why I left Garmin.
  • JimD666 said:

Honestly not sure why Wahoo would tell you its an issue. Apple TV is Bluetooth only (I believe) so just connect the bike to your Garmin via ANT+ and you should be golden.

Would be worth trying to get Wahoo to qualify their reasons as to why it would be a problem.

They said it ran the risk of drop outs. I asked the question in many different ways. They do recommend attaching an wahoo element in passive mode, but I'm not gonna leave the garmin world just for that.
    It is true that garmin turns into an active controller (since a update last year?) when connected - dont know if that makes a difference.

I dont think I'm gonna risk buying a wahoo product - shame, that shift bike looks nice....
  • Mike_Mac
    Mike_Mac Posts: 46
    edited September 2023
    hpaul said:

I've no idea why you need to do this. I'm sure you can upload to Garmin connect via zwift, the same way you do to Strava.

You dont get the same first beat metrics if you take activity data to Connect from Zwift. It has got better, in the last year or so, but still not the same as logging a live session...
    hpaul said:

I see no reason why the kickr bike would not work. I used a Garmin HR before I bought Apple TV. Needed BT for it. Wahoo will advise you best. Their customer service is why I left Garmin.

Unfortunately, wahoo does seem to have a problem with it. I'm happy with my current setup. Buying the wahoo bike was just for an upgrade. Not gonna risk an upgrade that might not support my current workflow....
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    The only time a Garmin should become active (and control) the Kickr is if you tell it to. If you're just recording data it shouldn't care.

Which Garmin are you using for recording? I know my 1030, the wife's 520 and my Epix won't control my Kickr (2018) turbo trainer unless I've specifically asked it to.

I'm convinced it wouldn't be an issue and they're just looking to flog you a Element but not 100% sure I'd risk my own ££££.
  • Yup, that what I think to Jim.... for me, its discouraged me buying the bike - I'm gonna just run the trainer for another winter on a new chain and cassette. to be fair, my Elite still runs well, it just sounds like its in pain.

I use my Fenix 6 under the indoor trainer option - I only get the option to control it, but I choose "free ride" and then Zwift seems to then control my trainer as expected. I've never had a drop out that I'm aware of.

I wrote to Garmin, they said no worries to dual connect to their Tacx - meh, I guess I'll be keeping an eye on Tacx bikes.

Cheers,

M