Annemiek van Vleuten

davieb78
davieb78 Posts: 99
edited September 2023 in Pro race
Today was AvV’s last race as a professional in the Simac Ladies Tour in Arnhem, not far from her home. Her career was absolutely incredible and she pretty much won everything there was to win. Her racing style was aggressive, always trying to do something for the win. She absolutely maximised her talents and really changed women’s cycling with her approach to training and will to win. I supported her for years and then recently got to meet her on numerous occasions and rode twice with her out in Colombia. Here I discovered just how incredible a person she was too. Laser focused, but kind and generous. She leaves an incredible legacy in the sport and watching the races without her just won’t be the same.

Comments

• A genuine great, with a staggering capacity for suffering. Most of the time she could count on the fact that everyone chasing her felt worse - at Harrogate she was in a class of her own, and never looked slightly threatened from the roadside.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,093
    edited September 2023
    I wonder what Annemiek will do next?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof said:

She says she wants to go into coaching, particularly the mental side of things, and will do the necessary training. Wants to work with young riders. She doesn’t want to be a DS/in the car. I would imagine she’ll get plenty of media work offers too as her opinions are pretty forthright!
  • davieb78 said:

davidof said:

She says she wants to go into coaching, particularly the mental side of things, and will do the necessary training. Wants to work with young riders. She doesn’t want to be a DS/in the car. I would imagine she’ll get plenty of media work offers too as her opinions are pretty forthright!
    And, crucially, is well liked as is, as you say, just a nice person and funny
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Good send off crowds at the simac.... she defined her era ....feels like she boardered a new one.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,454
    The probably doesn't want to race anymore, but I think she would be insanely good at gravel racing.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    m.r.m. said:

The probably doesn't want to race anymore, but I think she would be insanely good at gravel racing.

I don't. For all her amazing abilities, her one major weakness is her bike handling skills.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,454
    There are plenty of gravel riders that don't have those. They learn it in time. Being able to ride endlessly just below threshold seems to win the races. There are plenty of races that are not all that technical in nature and can't really be compared to CX or MTB XCO courses in terms of technicality.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • She's racing the gravel worlds
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,584

She's racing the gravel worlds

Definitely retired then.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    m.r.m. said:

Maybe she read your post :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    daniel_b said:

m.r.m. said:

She said it is very much a one-off. The team proposed it to her, and she thought it would be fun, but has no intention of riding any more gravel events.

It makes a bit of a mockery of the status of the gravel worlds though, if you can just parachute someone in to ride it who has no previous experience of racing gravel.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    andyp said:

daniel_b said:

m.r.m. said:

She said it is very much a one-off. The team proposed it to her, and she thought it would be fun, but has no intention of riding any more gravel events.

It makes a bit of a mockery of the status of the gravel worlds though, if you can just parachute someone in to ride it who has no previous experience of racing gravel.
    The regulars should be better, then it would make no difference.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago