La Vuelta 2023: Stage 11:- Lerma - La Laguna Negra.Vinuesa, 163.5km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
edited September 2023 in Pro race
Stage 11:- Lerma - La Laguna Negra.Vinuesa, 163.5km

September 6
Start Time: 12-15BST.

It wouldn't be the Vuelta without the hockey stick stage. Otherwise, Stage 11 is a relatively flat day which suits opportunists. The first 150 kilometres of the stage are played out between 800 metres and 1,100 metres above sea level. The final 18.2km propel the peloton to the mountaintop finish at La Laguna Negra. The uphill finish was first introduced to the Vuelta in 2020. Then, Dan Martin opened his sprint with 300 metres to go and he held off Primoz Roglic and Richard Carapaz, number one and three on GC. The Irishman himself was sitting in second place.

The route rolls east-ward from Lerma, a village in the province of Burgos in the Castile-León region for 163.5km. The undulating route on a plateau south of Burgos is far from remarkable. They circle around the Embalse de la Cierda del Pozo, a reservoir in the Douro river. Laguna Negra is a black lake in the Urbion Peaks. Laguna Negra rises 1,753 metres above sea level and the lake is shrouded by legends. The most common one is that the lake is bottomless (it's actually 10 metres deep) and meets the sea hundreds of miles away through caves and subterranean currents.

The Climb.

The first 10 kilometer run false flat uphill, after which the gradients kick up to 6 or 7% on average. The last part is steepest. Opening with a section at 14%, the last 1.5 kilometers are averaging 9% with the ultimate 500 metres ramping up to 11.2%.

Final Kms.

The finish climb is nothing special, except for the last kilometre.

What to Expect.

The finish climb is nothing special, except for the last kilometre, so GC riders will not be able to gain a lot of time. As far as they are concern, it will come down the obligatory sprint for the line. This scenario should allow the winner to be someone lucky enough to get into the BOTD and be able to climb. However, if Roglic still holds sway and still has designs on winning this stage, the final Km looks ripe for one of his specials. Yet Jumbo have to remember that Evenepoel is still in the race.

Lerma

First Vuelta stage departure.
2,609 inhabitants

Lerma is a village in the province of Burgos, part of the autonomous community of Castile and León, Spain. It has important monuments dating from the 17th century, which were built by the Duke of Lerma. Its historical complex allows visitors to travel back in the time to the Baroque period, both with its beauty and its artistic and cultural value, all of which have led the municipality to be included among The Most Beautiful Villages of Spain. The village is home to the headquarters of the Spanish wine denominación de origen protegida Arlanza DOP.

Morcilla de Burgos

Morcilla de Burgos are blood sausages that are traditionally made in the province of Burgos. This is one of the many varieties of blood sausage, or black pudding, present all around the world. The recipe for this delicacy is fairly simple and uses only a few humble ingredients.
An interesting fact about this recipe is that it doesn't actually involve any meat, since morcilla de Burgos is made by chopping and sautéing the onions with butter, then combining them with rice, lard, blood, and spices.

Arlanza

Arlanza is a Spanish Denominación de Origen Protegida located in the provinces of Burgos and Palencia, Castile and León, Spain. It was officially upgraded from the lower status of QWPSR in 2007. The DOP covers 67 municipalities. There are 23 wineries from Burgos registered and 2 from Palencia.

La Laguna Negra.Vinuesa

On previous finish.
837 inhabitants

Vinuesa is a municipality located in the province of Soria, in the autonomous community of Castile and León, Spain.
La Laguna Negra stands out for its beauty and mystique – its dark, murky waters, its rocky surroundings and its groves all give it its name. Inspired by this place, Antonio Machado set one of his most famous legends, La tierra de Alvargonzález, here – a family drama with a lesson, where the location’s mystique plays an important part.

Patatas a la importancia

Patatas a la importancia is a traditional Spanish dish originating from Castile. The dish is made with potato slices that are fried in a batter of flour and eggs. The potatoes are fried, arranged on a platter or a plate, then topped with a sauce that usually consists of onions, carrots, flour, olive oil, salt, and white wine or dry sherry (salsa española), or a combination of garlic, parsley, almonds, and white wine known as majao.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• I think I remember this climb from 2020

Iirc it was quite picturesque and snaked through the trees to the finish where Dan Martin sprinted for the win
  • I've heard it's nothing special.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Who's in the break
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    G !
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Geraint Thomas: breakaway chancer.
  • mididoctors
    Caicedo in there too I see .
  • Jesus, he couldn't win, could he?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Kirby eventually gets around to telling us that Ayuso has been on the deck.
    Priorities are not Carlton’s strong suit.

I notice that while Jumbo are working on the front, Kuss has been alone at the rear.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648

Kirby eventually gets around to telling us that Ayuso has been on the deck.
    Priorities are not Carlton’s strong suit.

I notice that while Jumbo are working on the front, Kuss has been alone at the rear.

Kuss always rides like that tbf.
  • mididoctors
    Get to the business end
  • Ganna blowing up a lot of riders
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Wout van Ganna
  • mididoctors
    Ganna beasting it for g
  • mididoctors
    Camera director is appalling at shot choice
  • Pross
    G is looking like he's finding the pace hard work too. Group is down to 9 now.
  • Feels weirdly retro to watch this front group, doesn't it?
  • mididoctors
    Ganna is about to explode
  • Pross
    Thomas is going to get mugged after all Ganna's effort.
  • What the heck was going on with the barriers appearing and then disappearing again?
  • Don’t think Geraint is winning this
  • Pross
    Ganna's got back as the others mess around.
  • Pross
    Nope, my mistake. Not sure who it was.
  • mididoctors
    Jesus
  • Pross
    Did someone ride into the barrier or was that the wind?

Herrada takes it, G never looked like he had enough to take it up and they may have been better saving Ganna to try for himself.
  • Pross
    GC group aren't racing
  • Herrada wins from Herrada range.
    Geraint has little form otherwise he would have gone far earlier and far harder.
  • mididoctors
    That should be banned
  • Meanwhile the peloton look as if they are riding in tribute of a fallen comrade.
  • Kuss goes into Roglic mode as Evenepoel wastes his time and effort
  • mididoctors
    Mind games