La Vuelta 2023: Stage 10:- Valladolid to Valladolid, 25.8km ITT ***Spoilers***

Comments

• If Roglic is to win this, Kuss is going to have to throw the race.
    Nowhere near enough TT kms for the amount of climbing to make much difference in the overall of this Vuelta.

The story around Kuss was always he had the talent but not the head, so we'll see if the head holds strong.
    I think this is his ideal opportunity - low stress because if he doesn't win it, there's two backup options in his team. Also it's only the Vuelta.

Hope he does it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Could be a jumbo top 3 if they play their cards right.
  • Or a UAE top 3
  • TheBigBean

Or a UAE top 3

Less likely, but I forgot that Soler had been given a head start as well.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    It's not a bad race considering the organisation fubars and terrible coverage
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Certainly hard to call
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235

If Roglic is to win this, Kuss is going to have to throw the race.
    Nowhere near enough TT kms for the amount of climbing to make much difference in the overall of this Vuelta.

The story around Kuss was always he had the talent but not the head, so we'll see if the head holds strong.
    Isn't that the exact same explanation for Vingegaard's emergence from nowhere?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Could be a jumbo top 3 if they play their cards right.

I'm looking forward to the Grand Tour equivalent of Quick Step v Stannard
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Only a few weeks ago I was watching JV put ~4 mins into Rodriguez and Castroviejo in Combloux, also hammering some top TT guys including Pogacar… what happened today?
  • TheBigBean
    I'm puzzled how Kuss is only 4th favourite. How can Evenepoel gain time back?
  • Only a few weeks ago I was watching JV put ~4 mins into Rodriguez and Castroviejo in Combloux, also hammering some top TT guys including Pogacar… what happened today?

They didn't go up a great big hill.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Only a few weeks ago I was watching JV put ~4 mins into Rodriguez and Castroviejo in Combloux, also hammering some top TT guys including Pogacar… what happened today?

He was at his peak at the Tour. He's not now. Winning the Tour and the Vuelta in the same season is hard, and has only been done once before.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    DeadCalm said:

Don’t think so, with Vinegergaard it was more a case of no one outside Denmark but JV noticed him.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

I'm puzzled how Kuss is only 4th favourite. How can Evenepoel gain time back?

He can’t, today was his stage

JV could genuinely still be sub-par post Tour. A month is not a long time for recovery.

• Or JV might have had to share his “special weetabix” with Roglic and Kuss.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited September 2023
    andyp said:

Only a few weeks ago I was watching JV put ~4 mins into Rodriguez and Castroviejo in Combloux, also hammering some top TT guys including Pogacar… what happened today?

He was at his peak at the Tour. He's not now. Winning the Tour and the Vuelta in the same season is hard, and has only been done once before.
    andyp said:

So how do you explain Kuss?
    He was comfortably inside the top 10 of the Tour until the final road stage, then dropped a shed load of time just prior to Paris.
    He was rolling in a minute behind his team leader during that final, awful week of the Giro and finished 6th in the ITT. He finished both those GTs inside the top 15. Not bad for a domestique, however deluxe he is.

This is his 3rd GT, now appears to be peaking and unless his form varnishes in the 3rd week, should not be beaten.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors

Got tired
  • mididoctors

andyp said:

andyp said:

He was comfortably inside the top 10 of the Tour until the final road stage, then dropped a shed load of time just prior to Paris.
    He was rolling in a minute behind his team leader during that final, awful week of the Giro and finished 6th in the ITT. He finished both those GTs inside the top 15. Not bad for a domestique, however deluxe he is.

This is his 3rd GT, now appears to be peaking and unless his form varnishes in the 3rd week, should not be beaten.
    He is strong rider who rides with in him self most days unless needed for a specific task
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

andyp said:

andyp said:

Riding top 10 (when you have the physiology to compete for the win) is a completely different kettle of fish than actually competing for the win. Rolling in a few minutes down is substantially less effort in terms of RPE and will definitely allow you to recover faster.
    All of us can see this for ourselves. Ride your absolute max on a 5 minute climb and then do that same climb in 6-7 min. The difference is night and day in terms of RPE.

Race tactics play a further role. Kuss and Soler were given a head start and gained time because they were allowed to. They both shipped time in the ITT albeit less than expected. Without the "gifted" time, Kuss would no longer be in contention (outside of the "true" contenders having a Pogacar crash and burn day on one of the hard stages).
    No intention of taking anything away from Kuss. Sometimes life throws you a bone and you need to make the best of it.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • The only thing that makes me think Kuss wont win is stage 20. Which basically looks like a very hard one day race, but no big climbs. It’s 10 (ten) cat 3s over 200kms.

Has Remco written all over it. And Roglic.
  • DeadCalm
    Pross said:

DeadCalm said:

Don’t think so, with Vinegergaard it was more a case of no one outside Denmark but JV noticed him.
    Not exactly the same, but similar. With Vingegaard, it was apparently nerves. It was the explanation for why Vingegaard won absolutely nothing until he was 22 despite possessing an incredible engine.
  • DeadCalm

andyp said:

andyp said:

He is strong rider who rides with in him self most days unless needed for a specific task
    Did you watch the TDF? He was riding for his own GC position as well as working for Vingegaard. He was definitely not riding within himself.
  • andyp said:

andyp said:

By riding within himself, do you mean being the third man on a climb along with Vingegaard and Pogacar?
    If so, I agree. :p

• andyp said:

andyp said:

By riding within himself, do you mean being the third man on a climb along with Vingegaard and Pogacar?

Obviously as we're talking about pro cycling it pays to be suspicious, but in the Tour, Kuss was regularly shipping 2-3 minutes to Vingo on the key stages. (Not sure where you get your "third man" concept from. I assume it is rhetorical rather than factual.) That's the difference between going flat out and at 95% on the final climb, which is huge in terms of cumulative fatigue and recovery.
  • mididoctors

andyp said:

andyp said:

Obviously as we're talking about pro cycling it pays to be suspicious, but in the Tour, Kuss was regularly shipping 2-3 minutes to Vingo on the key stages. (Not sure where you get your "third man" concept from. I assume it is rhetorical rather than factual.) That's the difference between going flat out and at 95% on the final climb, which is huge in terms of cumulative fatigue and recovery.
    👆this
  • Also, as he was not the leader, he would barely have to do any media or podium stuff so more recovery versus the top guys. Still incredibly impressive recovery for the third grand tour of the year though!
  • Still incredibly impressive recovery for the third grand tour of the year though!

Indeed. Hence my comment about it always paying to be suspicious!

• DeadCalm

andyp said:

andyp said:

As Vingegaard's last man, Kuss would have been going flat out until he couldn't stay with him. That was his job. On the vast majority of the key stages, that was for most of the final climb.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited September 2023

andyp said:

andyp said:

On the first mountain stage to Laruns, on the final climb, who dropped everybody and isolated Pogacar, before Vingegaard dropped Pogacar? A 3 man group.
    Kuss finished that stage on the ST as the Slovenian.
    Who repeated the process on the Tourmalet, the following day, again isolating Pogacar? Another 3 man group. However, Kuss did ship 3 minutes that day.....along with Gall, both Yates and Gaudu.
    Hence the third man reference.

Anyhow, If he's managing all of that while only using 95% of his available power, it's no wonder he's leading, despite this being his eighth grand tour week of the year.