Giant Defy. Cracked frame. Sorted.

So I was dismayed to see a fairly ugly crack under the top tube on my Defy Advanced 2 2017. I rang giant kendal at 12 noon yesterday and spoke to them (bought the bike there). Amazing service and today I got a call that giant is sending me a new frame! I thought for sure they (GIANT co.) would try and wiggle out of it.
Can't believe how well/fast Giant Kendal sorted it all out so felt compelled to say something.

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Well done. And well done to Giant Kendal if they've handled your claim well with Giant.
    I've heard absolute horror stories about Giant and their warranty, and their handling (rejection) of claims.... these have specifically been mtb related and enough to worry me.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Yes it's really made me decide on only aluminium from now on. I really thought i would be selling bits off of a scraped bike.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 114
    Waiting on my Tcr. Replaced under warranty of a 2017 propel. Apparently the propel rims give a lot bother so I went for a tcr instead.
  • Carbon can be very reliably repaired, whereas a broken Aluminium frame is probably toast, it isn't even particularly difficult unless you want it to be invisible which is where the professional repairer comes in.
  • Repair a carbon frame 'easily'? Maybe if you have previous fibreglass/carbon experience 🤔 😉
    Personally I haven't a clue. I'm more of a mig welder kind of guy!
    Good news is the frame has arrived at my local store for rebuild.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Yes it's really made me decide on only aluminium from now on. I really thought i would be selling bits off of a scraped bike.

I can’t understand your point as a broken aluminium frame is as much use as a broken carbon fibre frame.
  • Repair a carbon frame 'easily'? Maybe if you have previous fibreglass/carbon experience 🤔 😉
    Personally I haven't a clue. I'm more of a mig welder kind of guy!
    Good news is the frame has arrived at my local store for rebuild.

It's a fair sight easier than welding. I was taught how to weld as part of my HND in engineering, I wouldn't trust my welding on steel, never mind aluminium.

I taught myself glass fibre then carbon fibre repair off the leaflet that came with the resin. Admitedly this is on canoes where the result of a failed repair is going to be little more than getting a wet bum, I don't think I would trust my repair on a carbon frame.

The professional repairers work is both strong and invisible, a repaired carbon frame will be as strong as it was when new, just a few grams heavier. I wouldn't trust a repaired aluminium frame.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    oxoman said:

Titanium I'm under the impression it's somewhere between steel and aluminium to repair depending on the quality of the metal to start with.

I believe you have to weld titanium in an oxygen free environment which is what makes it tricky. Something like that anyway.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 114
    I've been using a professionally repaired carbon canyon for about 3 years, probably 6 or 7k miles done without issue. Wasn't that expensive either, the repair. I was led to believe it will be as strong it not stronger after the repair. Crack was near bottom on seat tube.
  • Well just picked up bike. New 2021 advanced pro 0 frame so an upgrade?
    Got talked into all new parts ie crank, bearing and running gear so basically a new bike. Seriously considering selling it now to fund a emtb.
    Frame is euro Chrysocolla colour if anyone is interested.